II. THE THINGS WE DON'T SAY

_________

The rhythm of going to class had become steady again, the sense of repetitiveness soothing, although a bit boring. As Ivy sat in Transfiguration beside Angelina, she found herself glancing through the stained window, watching the Owlery from afar.

This year had been filled with excitement and adventure, but Ivy found she missed something she did not know she would miss; her life at Beauxbatons. She tried her hardest to keep out of trouble, something she had always thought she was attracted to, and it had gone fairly well for the months she had been here. All the trouble she found herself in was completely out of her control. She did not miss the detentions, but she did miss the mischief and the scheming and the running she used to do with Henri.

So, while sitting in class, listening to Professor McGonagall drone on and on about the importance of pronunciation and wand-movement, Ivy had an idea. It was still a couple months until the second task, and she was sure Henri would be up for it...

The bell in the clocktower rang through the castle, indicating that class was over.

"Hold on just a moment, students," Professor McGonagall said sharply, causing all of the students to drop their bags. "The Yule Ball is approaching, a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests."

Ivy slammed her head down on the table.

"Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above, although you may invite a younger student if you wish."

Ivy heard Angelina giggle beside her and looked up to see she was exchanging looks with George. She groaned in disgust.

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then, the Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to—er—let our hair down," she said, in a disapproving voice.

This time the entire class laughed.

"But that does not mean," Professor McGonagall went on, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. You are all Gryffindors and sixth-years, so I expect you all to behave accordingly. Now, go on. You've got classes to attend."

Ivy packed her bag and locked her arm with Angelina's as they began to set foot for the door.

"Miss Evans," McGonagall called, "stay back, please."

Angelina laughed at the look on Ivy's face and patted her comfortingly on her shoulder. Ivy turned around, approaching the Professor's desk with a curious smile. "What can I do for you?"

"As a champion," McGonagall began, "you will be expected to open the Yule Ball, along with a dance partner of your choosing."

Ivy sighed, staring at the wall in front of her.

"I assume you are familiar with dances and such, given your history at Beauxbatons?"

"Yes, of course," Ivy answered, "It's just, that was definitely not one of the things I was going to miss... Professor?" she asked. "Do I really have to go?"

"Yes," she replied curtly. "No exceptions."

Ivy didn't try and argue any further with the Professor and simply nodded gloomily before leaving the classroom, making her way to the next.

When she arrived, it seemed as if things had changed in the blink of an eye. Word certainly spread fast in a magical school, as everybody was already all the way caught up on the Yule Ball. And, apparently, everybody was aware that the four Champions were required to get a date. Immediately after sitting down, after Sirius had opened the door for the students, Cedric leaned towards Ivy.

"It'd be dumb of me to ask you to the Yule Ball, wouldn't it?" he said, a joking edge to his voice.

Ivy still felt bad as she began to reject him. "Unless you want to dance in front of the entire school, yeah, it would be."

The rest of the day was not much better. Boys from every house came up to her, but only handful as bold as to ask her straight to her face. Most came up to her and paid her compliments she knew were not sincere in the slightest, they only asked as a reputation boost and to move up in the stupid, made-up social hierarchy. Ivy needed a distraction and she had already begun scheming.