Volume II. Monsters at Sea.

Betrayal already points to love

You can't betray an acquaintance.

Marina Tsvetaeva.

None of them sat

None of them sat.

Luke's incredibly large friends were still pointing their javelins at the quartet threateningly. They looked like twins, but they weren't human. They stood about eight feet tall and only wore blue jeans. They had claws for fingernails, feet like paws, their noses were snout-like, and their teeth were all pointed canines.

"Where are my manners?" Luke continued smoothly. "These are my assistants, Agrius and Oreius. Perhaps you've heard of them." No one said anything. "You don't know their story?" He sounded patronizing. "Their mother ... well, it's sad, really. Aphrodite ordered the young woman to fall in love. She refused and ran to Artemis for help. Artemis let her become one of her maiden huntresses, but Aphrodite got her revenge. She bewitched the young woman—"

"Shut up." Colette snapped at him. She'd finally come to her senses. Her rage had blinded her long enough to be taken hostage, but she was so beyond fury then.

Luke had been refusing to make eye contact with her, keeping his focus on Percy, but when she spoke, his gaze snapped over to her face — the anger in her expression and the coldness in her eyes that he caused. His eyes softened at the sight of her. "Sunny, what—?"

"I said to shut the fuck up, Castellan." Colette sneered at him.

             He recoiled, visibly distraught by her tone and the way she was treating him. He managed to find his wits, and took a slow step forward. "Sunny, you know why I'm doing this," he tried to placate her anger. "You understand."

             She laughed bitterly at his overly soft tone. "I understand completely," she nodded mockingly at him. "You are nothing but a filthy fucking traitor with daddy issues."

             His eyes darkened, and so did his expression. He reached out and grabbed her bicep tightly, his fingers pressed down on the lightning scar. "I was trying to be nice," he hissed. "But I'm not gonna tolerate your disrespect." She spat on his shoes. He squeezed her arm tighter, pulling up the limb with his force. "Enough!" He shouted at her, eyes beyond manic.

             "Je vais vous tuer." I will kill you. Colette promised him, her voice low in a menacing whisper. Her eyes flared gold and he flinched away from her, letting her go. More often than not, people forgot just how much divinity thrummed in her veins — how similar she was to her father. He'd enstilled more of his traits in her than anything else. Sometimes the crimson of her blood was stained with ichor.

Something else most forgot?

Colette always kept her promises.

The Sea of Monsters
Vol II / 2024, Icarus