Three Years Later!

Gale and Rin

Gale and Rin

Three years later and I was now five. Currently it is early summer and I am accompanying my mothers into town for the first time. Normally Linfa did not bother to sell her potions here, not since they found me at least. It just wasn't safe to bring me along before, and it wasn't safe for Linfa to go it alone either. So normally Linfa would stack her crates of potions up in the back of our small wagon and have our old crotchety mare, Sugar, haul them to Jerd. Sometimes she would go alone and sometimes Gale and I would tag along if the weather was good.

This time Gale and Linfa decided that I was big girl enough to make the long three day trip into Grier's Rest! I was pretty excited to be honest. And when we had first entered the town my mothers couldn't help but laugh at the amazed look on my face as we passed the big gate the surrounded the town and then the shops there after.

Sure, back on earth I had seen way bigger and fancier places than a town with less than two thousand people in it and nary a pane of glass in sight... but that was five years ago. And this was a freaking town in a fantasy world. Sure there weren't sky scrapers, but there was full grown men dressed in armor and toting around swords. There was a shop selling grilled Lake Crab claws the size of my head. And, most importantly, there was magic! Men and woman in robes- sometimes even pointed hats- levitating wares or filling pot with water using literal magic wands... I was in fantasy world over load from the moment we waved our way past the guard at the gate!

I had been to Jerd before, where Linfa usually sold her potions... But that was a tiny farming village, and we never went near the guild hall just incase the adventurers were feeling rowdy. Linfa hadn't wanted me to get caught up in their 'shenanigans' and Gale had agreed. So it was a bit like I was truly experiencing a little taste of what this world had to offer for the first time.

Currently I was in the apothecary. Sugar was parked out front, Linfa was by the counter haggling prices, and Gale and I were browsing the wares for fun. This shop defiantly had potions that I had never seen before. Not to mention all the varied ingredients stacked on shelves or stored in barrels and boxes. It did not smell particularly well in here but that was the last thing on my mind.

"Gale! What's this one!" I asked excitedly, pointing to a barrel full of what looked like dried up octopus tentacles.

Gale screwed up her face in disgust but came to look all the same, making me laugh. "I'd say lesser kraken parts."

I was sure my eyes must have widened because Gale chuckled, and then I said. "Krakens? Really?"

"A good eye you have there miss." Said the shop owner, a middle aged man with dark hair, an eye patch and a braided beard. "Those are lesser kraken parts. Pretty hard to come by around this area, but excellent in the making of mana potions."

"We are selling today, Dole, not buying." Sighed Linfa in a rare exasperated tone. She looked amused though, so I was sure that this was the usual banter amongst old business associates.