Chapter Thirty - A Grave Misapprehension

Margaret – unaware of Isabel's denouement in the study – passed a pleasant evening with her jovial godfather and his friend. The effect of the company on her father was uplifting, and Mr Hale revelled in having before him, two sharp male minds with which to converse. He did express his regret that Mr Thornton had been so taciturn that evening, and that he had been required to leave them early, but Mr Bell thought Mr Thornton a little spoilt by success, and prone to a severity which did not suit his own light and playful ways, so he did not regret his tenant's departure for more than a moment.

'But Mr Thornton must be a very busy man,' acknowledged Dr Lyndhurst, tactfully. 'And a feeling man, too, if he has set up this infirmary for his workers.'

'Oh, yes! He is a fair Master, I should think,' said Mr Hale, proudly.

'I do not think he has always been so conscientious of his workers,' replied Margaret, hesitantly, 'but Isabel tends to the workers free of charge, and so the cost to him is little. I should not think he would run the scheme if he had to pay a doctor's wage.'

'And quite rightly!' smiled Dr Lyndhurst. 'The man's running a business, Miss Hale; not a charity. Still,' mused the doctor, 'it seems a very worthy enterprise, and I should be keen to learn more of it. Perhaps I shall make a donation for equipment.' This pleased Margaret greatly, for she felt that for all the vibrancy of character in Milton, and for all its energy, there was a lack of concern for that which did not directly earn one money.

'I think – if Mr Thornton would accept a contribution – that Isabel would be very pleased. She spoke of some serious accidents which have previously occurred in the mills, and I know she was concerned for surgeon's equipment. I believe Dr Donaldson – our family doctor – has made a donation of some old tools he no longer uses, but I am certain Isabel would like the infirmary to be better equipped.' Mr Bell did not pass comment, but listened quietly, determining that if Isabel should be in wont of anything, he would be the man to provide it for her. Thus, the two old friends sat amiably and talked of their long-gone days in Oxford, as Dr Lyndhurst looked upon the beautiful, supple lips of Margaret, as they bent about her compassionate words, with a dexterity of mind and independence of spirit which he found wholly refreshing.

'Well!' said Mr Bell, once Dr Lyndhurst had taken his leave to return to his hotel, and Margaret had retired for the evening. 'My friend Christopher is quite taken with your pearl, if I may say so.'

'Taken with my Margaret?' asked Mr Hale, in surprise.

'Certainly! They got on famously, and he looked at her a great deal. And I should say, she looked at him a good deal, too. No! I think they thought the other very pleasing.'

'Oh! Well, yes – he seems a very good sort of man, but Oxford is a long way off, and Kent! That's even further,' frowned Mr Hale.

'Yes, but he takes an interest in the industrial towns; the workers and their lot. I should think he could be kept in Milton if he had the inducement.'

'I thought he looked at Isabel a little peculiarly,' worried Mr Hale.

'But only a professional interest. I should think he would like to 'pick her brain'. There was no affection in his look. And Isabel! Well, she and Mr Thornton were both very grave this evening; a good match for one another, I should think.'

'Isabel and Mr Thornton!' repeated Mr Hale, in confusion.

'Come, Hale! Surely you noticed? The man can barely keep his eyes from her, and Isabel; she certainly admires the fellow. No; I'm hopeful for two pretty matches.'

'Well, indeed!' For Mr Hale was not an observant man when it came to people. In all matters of architecture, in all small print upon the page, he could describe and explain in great detail, but he had no sharp eye for matters of the heart. A little discomposed, he sat back in his chair and thought upon Mr Bell's words. Mr Thornton, he was very fond of, and thought him a fine enough man to do for either young lady, and he would certainly not be ashamed to call him son-in-law. He saw – with regret – that he was better suited to Isabel than he was Margaret, but then, as he thought back to his pleasing new acquaintance – Dr Lyndhurst – he felt obliged to admit that although he did not feel the same instant regard for the doctor as he had done the Milton manufacturer, Dr Lyndhurst had the pleasing manners and gentlemanly grace to tempt Margaret into supplication, but the spirit and measured compassion of a man to stir Margaret's interests, whilst encouraging her in her independence of thought. Mr Hale sighed in resignation. If he was to give up both young ladies, he could wish for none finer, but he only hoped his Margaret would not be swayed from Milton.