Chapter Twenty-Four - Alibis and Agonies

Mr Thornton had just stepped out from the Hale's, when an omnibus pulled to a stop outside the house, and a police inspector jumped down. Seeing Mr Thornton, he called out to him, causing Mr Thornton to look round. Mr Thornton had been responsible for getting Inspector Watson his commission in the force, and Inspector Watson admired him greatly, and having come across him - quite by chance - he thought to take up his advice.

'Forgive me for making so bold as to stop you in this way, sir, but I am on business with regards to the drunkard who died in the infirmary last evening, and I believe you were the magistrate called to take his deposition?'

'Yes, I was; not that he talked much sense, poor fellow. He certainly came to his death at the hands of some violence; not that it may not have been warranted. He was a drunkard by all accounts, with a tendency to impertinence. He was engaged to one of my mother's servants, and the girl now is in quite a state about his death.'

'That is what I wished to speak to you of, sir; as a magistrate, but also in your capacity as the very man who got me my berth within the force. You see, sir, in investigating the matters surrounding this man's death, I have found a lady living in that very house I have just seen you leave, to be quite caught up.' Here, Mr Thornton stopped abruptly, and turned his avid gaze upon Inspector Watson, giving him his full attention.

'Someone in the Hale household, Watson?'

'Indeed, sir. You see, through my investigations, I have found that Leonards - a porter at the Outwood station - was accused of some slight violence; a definite impertinence towards a lady, and a scuffle ensued and the man was pushed - quite roughly, by all accounts - and thus he fell. I have a witness, sir, who says that the lady seen was Miss Hale. I have spoken with her just this afternoon, but she denied that she was there. I have told my witness of her denial, and although he does not wish to claim her to be a liar, sir, he is quite convinced that it was Miss Hale that he saw at Outwood station.' Mr Thornton frowned in alarm. Outwood station; why! he had seen Miss Hale at Outwood station with his own eyes; and in the embrace of a gentleman!

'When was this, Inspector?' asked Mr Thornton; his voice calm, betraying none of his own, surging emotions.

'Between six and seven, sir, on Thursday, the twenty-sixth.' The very same!

'And she denies that she was there at all?'

'Quite explicitly, sir. A vigorous denial, and with such being the case, sir, and my having a witness to claim otherwise, I fear there shall have to be an inquest, and - well - one does not like to doubt the word of a lady.'

'Quite right,' frowned Mr Thornton, for it was most alarming that such an entanglement should occur. 'You did well in bringing this to my attention, Watson. Leave it with me; I shall look into this further.'

'I did promise the lady I would call back this evening, Mr Thornton; she will be expecting me.' Mr Thornton took out his pocket watch and made some small calculation, before returning it to his pocket.

'It is now three o'clock. Come to the mill at four o'clock and I shall give you directions.'

'Thank you, sir!' replied Inspector Watson, for he truly did not wish to force an inquest and risk the lady's reputation, if it was nothing more than a matter of mistaken identity.

Mr Thornton took himself directly to his mill, and locked himself within his office, in order to prevent any interruptions. He sat at his desk and thought on what he had learnt. Never had he thought Miss Hale to be a liar. She had vexed him - always vexed him - and he felt in her a certain prejudice. Not against the north, for she was friendly with the workers and the likes of Higgins, and not against those she perceived to be beneath her class, for she appeared to discern no divide between her and her late friend Bessy, but she had always rallied against him, tarnishing him unfairly; thinking him a tyrant - a cruel master who had no feeling for his fellow man, but thought only in terms of trade; in pounds and pence, always looking to turn a tidy profit. He had sometimes thought her prejudice against him a wilful dislike that she seemed determined to cling to, and if that was so - not merely a naivety - then he felt there was some weakness of character within her - some failing - but never had he thought her a liar.