Chapter Four - The Uncredited Player

That evening, Mr Hale escorted Margaret and Isabel on the short train ride to Heston on the coast, where Mrs Hale was resting with her trusty maid, Dixon. Margaret had explained to Isabel - in lowered tones, so that her father would not overhear - that her mother was of a delicate constitution and had been greatly unsettled by the family's removal to Milton; so much so that it had been decided that Mrs Hale would rest in the clean, costal air of Heston, until a welcoming home could be put together for her in Milton. Isabel knew all of this, of course, but she nodded her understanding, and asked after Mrs Hale's symptoms. She had always supposed the mother to have suffered from consumption, but now she would be able to determine the ailment for herself.

'I have an interest in medicine,' whispered Isabel in reply - Mr Hale dozing in the carriage with a newspaper in hand. 'I should be very pleased to spend some time with your mother and see if there is anything that can be done to add to her comfort?' Margaret was gratified. She was not certain she could profess to like this peculiar goddaughter of her father's, but she noted the sincerity and compassion in her interlocutor's voice and eyes.

'You have some special knowledge?' asked Margaret, inquisitively.

'Indeed,' nodded Isabel. 'Where I lived - far away in the desert - it was common for a woman to be a doctor, too. I am fully trained; it is my calling, if you will.'

'A fully trained doctor!' gasped Margaret. Isabel gave a small smile in reply. In truth, she was, of course, much more knowledgeable and highly skilled than the leading doctors of the day, but she could not explain that. Nor was she familiar with the limitations of ready medicines and diagnostic equipment, so she would take no pains to stress her in-depth knowledge.

'Indeed. Of course, I have no medical supplies or equipment, but I can apply the knowledge that I have, most readily.'

'You said you lived in the desert. That is then why your skin is darkened?' asked Margaret, aware that her own skin was of an unblemished ivory.

'Indeed. My look is not fashionable,' agreed Isabel, 'but Milton is a smoky place; I am sure I shall pale soon enough,' and Margaret smiled in return.

'Forgive me, but Papa told me you were twenty-seven. You look so much younger. I should have supposed you only a few years older than myself.'

'Yes, but you are quite tall, I think, whereas I am small, and that always makes one appear younger; creates the impression of a child. No doubt my hair shall begin to grey within a twelvemonth and then the game shall be up!' Margaret could not help but delight in her new companion's playfulness, and decided to reserve judgement as to her character, until they had formed a stronger acquaintance. She had already proven herself to be most agreeable in accepting servant's quarters and in expressing an interest in her mother's health. Now she showed herself to have a certain light-heartedness which Margaret had found so lacking among the ladies of polite London society. To be sure, Isabel's speech was not as cultured as she should have liked it to be, and her skin really was far too tanned, but she reasoned that the same might be said for poor Frederick, were he ever able to return home to England. Living under the Spanish sun, he was sure to have lost his pale complexion, and speaking in the Spanish dialect, she would be surprised if he was to retain his soft southern intonation, or the crisp sounding of his letters. No, thought Margaret, Frederick would probably quite like Isabel.

Mrs Hale proved less keen. She was struck by how very brown Isabel's skin was, and on more than one occasion, requested that Isabel repeat herself, claiming she had not been able to make out her words. Mr Hale felt sure his wife had fully understood the words Isabel had spoken, but felt she was merely attempting to highlight to the newest member of their family, how very displeased she was with Isabel's way of speaking.