7: In Which She Wants to Play a Game

********************************

“How did you sleep?” were the first words out of Yaya’s mouth at breakfast the next day.

A blush instantly heated my cheeks. I was just thankful that I wasn’t pasty anymore. If I was lucky, she wouldn’t notice the heat on my face on account of how brown I was now.

“Very well, thank you,” I delicately replied, taking my seat across her. The aroma of rich coffee beans drifted into my nostrils and I eagerly reached out and poured myself a large mug. “And you? How did you sleep?”

“My back was killing me but I slept like Couscous over here,” she purred, regarding me over her morning cigarette. The dog barked, as if recognising his name. “I’m sorry I wasn’t awake when you returned from the beach. I trust Christos went to fetch you?”

The knowing look she gave me told me that she sure as hell knew what had happened when Christos came to “fetch me”. And again, afterwards, in my bedroom.

“He did,” I mumbled, looking away from the other woman’s knowing eyes, “although it wasn’t necessary.”

I smelled him before I heard him.

“Good morning,” Konstantin said from behind me. The chair beside me was pulled out and he sat down, his cologne overpowering every delicious scent in the dining room.

Kalimera, Christos. Sleep well?” Yaya looked like the cat that got all the cream and then some.

I felt Konstantin’s eyes on me and resisted the urge to look at him. “I did, Yaya. Best sleep I’ve had in quite a while.”

“Good.” She clapped her hands together, getting to her feet. “Well, I need to take care of a few personal things, make a few phone calls. I’ll be busy the entire morning. Christos, you’ll entertain Francesca, won’t you?” She gave me an apologetic look that wasn’t all that apologetic. “I’m sorry, my dear.”

“Of course, Yaya,” said Konstantin.

“No, that’s all right,” I said quickly. “I’ll be fine on my own.”

Yaya flashed me a smile. “I’ll see you later.” She shuffled out the dining room without a backward glance.

“Look, don’t feel like you have to babysit me,” I muttered, spearing a rind of bacon onto my plate. “I saw your laptop. You must have work to do. And I honestly don’t feel like pretending to...”

I felt his fingers run across my lips and tasted the sweet stickiness of honey. Without warning, his hand was on the back of my head and he pulled me to his lips, his tongue delighting in the honey. My eyes were closed when he pulled away.

“Work can wait. Everything can wait,” he said gently, pushing stray strands of my hair away from my face. “Do you remember how you loved the cove behind Kástro?”

I slapped his hand away, furrowing my brow. “Don’t. Don’t reminisce about things like that.” I pushed the chair back as I got to my feet.

Konstantin was quicker than me. Grabbing my wrists, he yanked me to him. “One minute you’re purring my name like a kitten and the next, you’re throwing hot water over me. It’s becoming infuriating.”

“Let go of me,” I spat, trying to jerk myself away.

“Fine.” He released me, his voice thunderous. “Stay out of my way.”