10: In Which She Closes a Chapter

*********************************** 

“What can I do?” I asked quietly, after a long hush had elapsed.

With his uninjured hand, Konstantin brushed away wisps of hair that had strayed into my face. “You can start by shutting up. I was beginning to enjoy the silence.”

Something had changed in the past hour of our changing our minds and actually talking. Kon had probably gotten second thoughts about taking me back because now he was as cold as he had been when I’d last seen him in Greece, if not, colder. Despite that, my body still yearned to be one with his; to be united in that simple, primal need to have sex. Every single fibre of me was crying out to run my hands through the tousled curls of his dark head and pull him to me. The idea that they had fallen out during chemo and I’d never gotten to be there to comfort him was not lost on me. I had no right to enjoy him, to have him when I hadn’t been there for him when he’d really needed me.

I bit my tongue and waited for him to continue. He retracted his hand and shifted away from me, wrapping his towel back around his waist. I let out a sigh of regret and he shot me a look.

“What?” he grunted.

"I thought...I thought we’d talked and...” I sucked in a deep breath. “I know I don’t deserve you, so if you want me to beg, I will beg.” Before he could say or do anything to dissuade me, I hopped off the bed and got onto my knees. It didn’t matter that I was utterly naked, or that my dignity was five seconds away from slipping into oblivion. The only thing that mattered was trying to persuade a man I’d hurt – even though he wouldn’t admit it – that I loved him unconditionally and would prove it the only way I could at this point.

“Frankie, get up,” said Konstantin, his tone warning.

“No.” I fixed my eyes on him. “We’ve talked about almost everything under the sun for the past hour but we haven’t talked about us.”

“Maybe because there is no us.”

“Are you trying to convince me, or yourself?” I shot back.

His brow creased in irritation. “Neither of us needs convincing. I think we both know that a relationship that is not built on trust cannot last. In any case, I never made a good husband.”

I wanted to slap him across the mouth for saying something so untrue. “You were the best thing that ever happened to me. I never understood what you saw in me but I knew that I was lucky you saw something.”

He arched a disbelieving brow. “Kissing ass, are we, Frankie?”

“Okay, you are behaving incredibly bipolar.” I got to my feet. “I didn’t want to have to do this.”

“Do what?” he asked, regarding me through hooded eyes. His voice was husky and I knew that I was slowly but surely breaking him down.

Make you forgive me,” I said, “because you haven’t forgiven me. I know that. You just wanted sex.”

“I can have sex with any woman I want,” he said through clenched teeth, his stubbly jaw tensing. “For you to insinuate that I only –”

I placed a forefinger to his lips, shutting him up. “Violate me.”

Gently, he took my hand in his. “What?”

“You’re still angry with me, right?”

He seemed to consider this. “What has that got to do with your asking me to abuse you?”