5: In Which She is an Outkast (Hey Yaya)

5: In Which She is an Outkast (Hey, Yaya)

************************************ 

"Have you come to have a go at me, too?" I muttered miserably, sick and tired of defending myself. I braced myself, waiting for my friend's explosion.

But Alain's face was cheerful as he glanced around my empty bookstore. "Actually, I've come to ask you out for coffee."

Coffee. I'd been chugging a lot of that lately. It gave me energy, kept me from wallowing.

"What'll Magda say?" The thought of possibly being attacked and labelled a man-eating, husband-stealing bitch by a former rugby player nicknamed Mad Magda wasn't exactly appealing.

"If you weren't so busy being a hermit, chérie, you'd know that Mags and I split up." Alain shrugged. "So... how about it, Francesca?"

What else could I possibly have to lose?

"Sure, Al. Coffee sounds lovely."

 *~* 

"I think you're exaggerating," said Alain, taking a huge bite out of his fourth cappuccino muffin. The bistro he'd taken me to was secluded and filled with the sweet aroma of various coffees and warm pastries. It was also very French, very pleasant. Perfect.

Inside, I was just glad for the first proper human contact I'd had in a long time – two weeks, to be exact. Alain and I might not have known each other that well but at least he was smiling at me.

"Old Mrs. Brown came in the other day specifically to give me a piece of her mind." I stirred my black coffee and grimaced at the memory. "She called me a player. Can you imagine?"

Alain gazed at me thoughtfully. "Well, I think you can understand everyone's, er, confusion. You've only just met Kouriakis and you betrayed Colin with him. Not that it's any of our business," he added hastily, gauging my cold expression.

"See, that's where everyone's wrong," I said softly, letting out a bitter laugh. "I haven't just met him, not that it's anyone's business."

"What do you mean?" Alain was puzzled.

My eyes travelled to my bare ring finger. There was no point in hiding anymore when everyone already thought I was a hateful wh0re. "We were married once upon a time, Kon and I."

"Maintenant elle me le dit," he muttered, looking skyward.

"Now I tell you?" I repeated in English, emphasising the first word to convey my disbelief at how ridiculous he was being. "And when was the right time to tell you? To tell anyone? You don't know anything about my marriage to Konstantin and why I was so intent on keeping it secret. It's absolutely no one's fucking business."

"You're right." He nodded slowly. "I have no right to pry but...I suppose that does explain your vehement stance about not tying the knot. Did he hit you?"

"That would be prying, Alain, wouldn't it?" I looked away from him, choosing to stare out the big glass window on my right. There was no risk of spotting Konstantin casually walking by. From what little gossip I'd managed to overhear, he'd left Parishville. Someone had mentioned New York.

"Francesca?"

My attention returned to Alain, who was patiently waiting for me to come back to the land of the living. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry for being so nosey. Break-ups happen sometimes. You mustn't let that get you down," he said, smiling. "Take Magda and me for example. We loved each other. We probably still do. But she and I want different things."