Chapter 8

Wow. SHOCK AND AWE TO THE MAX. Two uploads? One day? I guess techinically in my time zone it's two days but they are definitley within the same twenty-four hour time period.

Anywho, enjoy!

Chapter 8

I woke up the next morning alone in my room, still wearing the red dress from the night before with my legs tangled in a blanket I didn’t remember climbing under. My feet were sore from walking in my heels but other than that, I felt surprisingly refreshed, the anger and embarrassment from the night before drastically reduced and I think I knew why.

My obsession with Wes and the way he played the guitar was starting to get a little weird. I could accept the fact that I was willing to sleep in an odd position on the floor to listen to him through a wall but this feeling of lingering contentment that had settled inside of me?

That wasn’t something I could come to terms with.

Still, as I stood from the bed, tripping only once over the blanket, I couldn’t help but smile as I remembered the way his music washed over me no matter what he played.

I got ready slowly, in no rush to face my father in the harsh light of day, knowing that it wouldn’t be an apology poised on his lips but an excuse that I had no interest in hearing.

With a sigh, I brushed some blush on my cheeks, hoping it was a trick of the mirror that made my eyes looks so red and swollen, that it had nothing to do with the way I’d cried the night before.

A flare of anger seeped through my contentment at the thought of my tears and the way I’d actually looked forward to that dinner. If anyone was to blame, it was me. I should’ve known better.

Five minutes later, my contentment completely fled when the phone rang and I picked it up only to hear Oscar’s voice on the other end.

“Blake wanted me to tell you that something came up last night, that he’s sorry he missed your dinner but the circumstances were unavoidable.”

I quirked an eyebrow, my gaze on the muted TV. “Oh yeah?” I said sarcastically. “Did his circumstances have red hair and a D cup?”

“It was a private matter.”

I rolled my eyes. “Of course it was. Well, tell him not to worry, I didn’t wait long. The restaurant was right next to a strip club and I decided to make a few extra bucks while I was on that side of town.”

“What?” Oscar said, his voice suddenly hushed and sharper. “Grace, tell me you didn’t.”

“Didn’t what? Oscar, I was selling raffle tickets. What were you thinking?” I asked innocently, twirling a piece of hair between my fingers.

He let out a breath of relief. “You’re joking. I suppose I should’ve known by now.”

I shrugged. “Probably.”

“Anyway, Blake would like to reschedule.”

Anger made my throat burn for a second, keeping me silent.

“Two nights from now in Houston. I’ll make sure he doesn’t forget.”

“He didn’t forget,” I hissed before taking a deep breath. “Just go ahead and pencil me out of his schedule, will you? I’m available for press related activities only. Next time he wants a father-daughter moment, let him know that I’d rather fight an angry alligator, okay? I bet his redheaded bimbo would be perfectly willing to meet him for dinner, why don’t you call her?”