Chapter 2

I know I said I wouldn't post the second chapter anytime soon but...it was written and...I posted it. So yeah lol.

Hope you like it!

Chapter 2

“What the hell is that?”

Raina grinned, looking at her beautiful new bracelet with stars in her eyes. “Mom bought it for me. Isn’t it amazing?”

“Yeah,” I said in a choked voice, recognizing it for what it was. Tiffany & Co.

“I knew you’d like it,” my mother, Roxanne Travis said, planting a kiss on my younger sister’s cheek.

“What’s not to like?” Raina said, her radiant smile nothing like our father’s. Raina’s smile was anything but plastic, her hazel eyes shining with the happiness she was feeling. She was an open book and even though she got on my nerves, like any good sibling does, I loved her more than anything. Of the two of us, she was always the smart one, her nose was more often than not buried in a book and her grades were impressive to say the least.

“Did you get one too, Grace?”

I blinked, tuning into the conversation. “What?”

“A bracelet, dummy.” She waved her wrist in front of my face, the diamonds catching the light from the window.

“Um...”

“She wouldn’t wear that, honey.”

My eyes shifted to my mother as she gazed affectionately down at my sister, her hazel eyes a shade or two lighter than Raina’s, her honey blonde hair a more faded version of her daughter’s. Aside from the subtle differences, the two had similar features and colouring, their heart-shaped faces, slight figures, and upturned noses marked them clearly as related.

Me on the other hand...

I was tall, just over five ten with long wavy hair, bordering on curly that was such a dark shade of brown that it was nearly black. My eyes were the same colour as my father’s, that dark green colour of the ocean in winter. I lacked the delicate features of my mother and sister, my jaw was a bit more square, my cheeks more angular and my eyes spaced slightly further apart. My lips were plumper than my mother’s ensuring that I couldn’t get away with the ‘sweet’ look that my sister so effortlessly pulled off. My mother liked to describe me as ‘striking’ and I supposed it fit.

“Yeah, I don’t really do jewellery, Raine. You know that.”

She shrugged and stuck her tongue out at me. “I was hoping you’d give it to me.”

I gave a short laugh. “Not a chance, brat.”

She rolled her eyes but the corners of her mouth were tilted up, as if she were fighting a smile. “How am I a brat?”