Mother Knows Best

"So, do you want to see a movie later today?" my best friend and boyfriend, West , asked me . I shrugged my shoulders and giggled, "mm, it depends." He smirked, swaying our tightly clapped hands back and forth between us as we walked. "Depends on what? Wait, let me guess your mom." I playfully smacked his side, " Oh, come on West. Don't be like that, you know how she can be." He rolled his eyes, "Obsessive? " It was my turn to roll my eyes, "She's not obsessed.... just very protective." He shook his head, "That's putting it mildly. No offense, babe, but your mom is crazy. I don't mean the good kind of crazy either."

He's right, mom isn't like typical moms. "She's just scared I'll get hurt." West sighed, "You do know the town calls you the boyfriend killer, right? Do I need to be worried about you smothering me in my sleep?" I rolled my eyes," Why would I smother someone as cute as you." He chuckled and pulled me in for a quick kiss. Once we arrived in my driveway, we walked up the steps. "You sure you don't want to stay for dinner?" I asked him as he wrapped his arms around me . His brow quirked up in thought as his deep hazel eyes stared into mine. "Depends," he said. The door swung open to my mother standing inches from us with a menacing look on her face and knife in hand.

"Holy shi—- hello, Mrs. Mason." West struggled to speak; mother's sudden appearance had startled him. Her eyes shifted back and forth between us. West cleared his throat and removed his arms from around me. "Are you staying for dinner, Mr. Goodman?" My mother wiped the end of the blade on her blood-stained apron. Wests eyes shifted to me, "I'll text you later about that movie." He leaned in and gave me a peck on the cheek. "Not this time, bye Mrs. Mason," he said to her before turning on his heels and dashing down to the end of the driveway. "Really, mom?" I gave her an annoyed look.

She cocked her head, continuing to wipe off the blade in her hand, "Really, what? I just asked if he would like to eat dinner with us." My eyes shifted down to the knife then met her eyes. She shrugged and turned around; she made her way back to the kitchen. "West is a nice guy, why can't you just be a little more ...." She stared at me while chopping up the beef at the kitchen table. "A little more what?" I sighed, " Normal." "He's not the right one for you," she responded. "You've said that at least 6 times now with all the other guys I've dated," I groaned. My father's work bag caught my attention out the corner of my eye, "Did dad come back from his work trip in Japan already?" My mother pretended not to hear me and continued chopping the beef up into strips.

I knocked on my parents' bedroom door a few times. Leaning my ear against it, I listened for any movement. "What are you doing? " my mother asked , she stood in the middle of the hall staring at me. "I was going to welcome dad back home." She rolled her eyes, "Your father isn't here." I titled my head, "then where is he?" She turned around and headed back towards the kitchen. I blew off my mother's strangeness and went to my room. Slipping my shoes off by the dresser, I plopped on the bed and pulled out my phone.

One new message

West<3:

Hey, sorry for leaving like that. Your mom gives me the creeps. Did you see the knife? I thought I was about to be the main dish for dinner. lol.

Vanna Banana:

It's alright, no harm no foul.

lol. I think the main dish is beef strips with potatoes.

West<3:

Do you want to hang out and watch a movie?

Vanna Banana:

If you're okay with being under the same roof as my mom for a night.

West<3:

I'll survive, as long as I'm with you.