The Tooth Eater

sat there on the edge of my little brother's bed and watched as he tied string around his bottom tooth then around his bathroom doorknob. "Lucas, it's not going to work," I laughed. He shook his head and evaluated the string to see if it was long enough. "I'm going to laugh if you hit your face on the door," I snorted. Lucas narrowed his eyes at me and took a deep breath. "Okay, you can close it now. " I rolled my eyes and lifted off the bed. Standing by the bathroom doorframe I quirked my brow at my brother. "Come on, Lillian! Just do it already." I chuckled and slammed the door as hard as I could. My little brothers' eyes widened as he jerked forward and went face first into the door. "I told you it wouldn't work," I laughed and helped untie the string.

"By gods! What was that sound?" my dad rushed into the room panting like he was out of breath. "I pointed at Lucas and the door. My dad gave a nod of understanding. "Son, that trick doesn't always work." My brother rolled his eyes and plopped on his bed. "I told him that," I stated. Dad walked over and sat down beside him. "I hate having baby teeth," my 9-year-old brother pouted. Dad sniffled and gave Lucas a sweet smile, "And I hate having adult teeth." My brother wiggled his bottom tooth and groaned. Dad patted his shoulder and stood up, "it'll come out when it's ready."

Lucas twirled around in the computer chair and logged on to his favorite video game. Dad and I left the room. Dad turned to head down the hall, but I stopped him, "Hey, dad?" He turned to look at me. "What's up, Lilly?" I fiddled with the hem of my shirt. "You've been watching the news, right?" I asked. Dad's smile faded and he adverted his eyes, "yeah...another child has gone missing. That's the fifth one this week." I glanced at my brother's door. Dad noticed and said reassuringly," Don't worry, Lucas will be fine." He gave me one of those genuine dad smiles, "everything will be alright."

Everything was not all right. That night I heard Luca's scream. He screamed so loud that it shocked me awake, tumbling face first into the hard cold hardwood floor of my room. I heard dad's feet stomping with speed down the hall. Rubbing my face, I lifted myself up and untangled myself from the sheets. I threw open the door and went straight for my brother's room. I skidded to a halt in the door frame. Dad was sitting on the bed holding a sobbing 9-year-old. "What happened? " I asked ,"is he okay?"

Dad glanced up at me with bags under his tired eyes, "he's alright, Lilly. He just got spooked that's all." I rubbed the tips of my fingers on the sore spot on my temple in circular motions, I let out a breath of relief. "Of what?" I asked . Dad looked down at my distraught little brother then back at me. "The monster," he sobbed, "the monster was on the ceiling staring at me." Monster? I sighed. Kneeling beside the bed, I steadied myself on the tip of my fuzzy duck slipper covered feet. "Lucas, there's no such thing as monsters." Wow, now I am starting to sound like dad. He sobbed again," it was going to eat me." I looked up at dad with concern. He closed his eyes for a minute then looked down at Lucas. "Son, nothing is going to eat you. Nothing will ever hurt you; I promise you."

I stayed with Lucas that night. It took eight hours cuddling him and singing his favorite songs before he went back to sleep. Dad knocked lightly on the door and glanced at us. "He finally went to slumberland? " he asked tiredly . I nodded, covering my mouth with my hand as I yawned. Dad looked seriously worried. "Dad? Everything will be alright, remember?" His eyes seemed lost and full of uncertainty. "Dad? " I asked , he snapped out of his thoughts and smiled . "Yes, everything will be alright. I did promise, you know." I nodded. "Well, I'm going back to bed, sweet dreams." I told him goodnight and watched as he closed the door and left.

Scratch. Scratch. I opened my eyes to the sound of scratching. Looking over Lucas, I checked the clock by his bed. It was already 5 in the morning. Scratch. Scratch. I squinted my eyes and looked around the shadowy room, hoping my eyes would adjust soon to the darkness. Lucas stirred a little in his sleep. Scratch. Scratch. I held my brother closer to me. "No. Not him. Find another and leave," I spat. Scraaaatch. Scraaaatch. I tightened my grip on Lucas and narrowed my eyes. Putting enough venom in my words as I could muster, I hissed, " Leave this house and never return." I waited. The scratching had stopped. Holding Lucas close, I closed my eyes and drifted back to sleep.