Serpents Ledge

The old saying goes to keep your friends close and enemies closer .... but what if you are the one who becomes the enemy.

"You're such a whiner! It's just a snake." "I can't believe we're still friends with such a crybaby like her." "Gah, grow up already!" Friends care for one another; I don't know who came up with that but it's a flat out lie. My friends hovered above me. My best friend, Maya, dangled a small Gardner snake inches from my face. "What's the matter, Shasta? Scared of an itty-bitty snake?" she laughed. At the age of nineteen I had figured I would have already outgrown my greatest fear, ophidiophobia, sadly I hadn't. Maya enjoyed teasing me about it. Sophie and her twin sister, Sarah would always join Maya. They found it funny when I coward away at the sight of a snake. Rather large or small. It was game to them, one they very much enjoyed playing. I, on the other hand, did not enjoy their little game so much.

"Stop, Maya. It's funny anymore. You've doing this for years now and it's getting pretty stupid." Sophie and Sarah stopped laughing. "What did you just say?" Maya fumed . She tossed the snake into the tall grass. I sighed, "I said I'm tired of this. We're not kids anymore." I crossed and uncrossed my legs. The blades of grass made my back itch. "I can't believe you, Shasta. You think just cause your tired means something to me?" Maya snorted . She hunched over, resting her hands on her knees and lowered her sunglasses enough to glare at me, " Listen, Sssh-asta. Good for you for pulling up your big girl panties and telling me your feelings." Really? "But to be frank, I don't care." And she's back to being a bitch. I gave her two thumbs up. "Nice to know ," I quipped.

"No use in continuing, Maya, "Sophia remarked, "She's not worth it." Shouldn't that be my line? Sarah stood by her sister nodding her head like a bobble head. Maya pushed her glasses back up, "Yeah, you're right. Let's go. Danny and the guys are probably waiting for us." The twins giggled. Maya leaned down and picked up her satchel from against the tree, tossing it over her shoulder. I waited till the girls were gone then stood up. I stretched out my arms and legs. Picking up my bag off the ground, I dusted off my pants. I stared up at the tall aspen trees, admiring their colorful leaves. I noticed the snake from earlier slithering out the corner of my eye. Kneeling, I picked it up. My hand trembled. I could feel my anxiety rising, I took deep breaths to stay calm. It's harmless, everything is fine. "I'm sorry for the way my friend handled you. She....she used to never be that way. She changed."

The small Gardner snake coiled itself in the palm of my hand. My heart began to race, beating rapidly against my chest. Stay calm. You got this. "I wish it would stop," I whispered to the small slender creature in my hand. I placed it gently back into the grass. Turning on my heels, I left the beautiful forest behind. "Shasta, welcome home." I gave my brother a light nod and headed to my room. My bag hit the floor with a plop. I slumped on the green colored sheets and rolled on my back, staring up at the glow n the dark stars on my ceiling from my childhood that I still have not taken down. Why does she hate me so much? I glanced at the picture frame on my nightstand of me and Maya taken three years ago. We were happy and smiling.

Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz. My brows knitted, who would be texting me? No one besides my brother ever spoke to me via phone. I slipped my phone from my front pocket and read the message on the screen.

One New Message

(Suggested Contact: Maya Papaya):

Hey, it's Maya.

I'm sorry about today, I took it too far. The girls and I were going to meet up with the guys in a few, I wanted to see if maybe you wanted to come too? Hang out together as friends like old times.

I stared at the screen. Biting my fingernails, I contemplated on what to reply. Although I missed spending time with them, I was worried that it was just another one of games. I glanced once more at the picture frame. It wouldn't hurt, right?