Six

"You should ask her." Carl said. "I mean your mother. You should ask her."

Currently they were in Jack's room, cuddling in his bed. His bed's huge. There'd be enough space for a third person, not that Carl would allow it, but it'd be possible for a third person to lay here with them.

"I would." Jack said, playing with Carl's hair. Carl didn't expect to like that kind of intimacy but it's nice to have his hair played with, so he let Jack do it. "But she's still not home."

"It's been five fucking hours, are their dates always that long?"

"Sometimes they're not even back when I wake up in the next morning." Jack laughed.

"Geez, old people." Carl said and laughed with Jack. "Do you think your sister already asked her about the house?"

"She most probably did. At least I already would've if I'd be her."

"How about asking her then?"

Jack pulled out his phone and texted his sister.

"Isn't she like... right next door?"

"She is, but I'm too lazy." Jack squeezed Carl closer to his side. "Too comfy."

"Hmm." Carl muttered in agreement.

They sat in silence, waiting for Ruby's answer, until Jack's phone got a notification.

"She wrote back." Jack said happily but then pauses.

"About damn time." Carl said. "What did she answer."

"Oh god." Jack rolled his eyes.

"What?" Carl asked stressed. They'll sell the house, won't they? Jack will have to move to another fucking country.

"She says 'if you want to talk with me do it in person, dumbass.'" Jack quoted his sister while impersonating her voice.

"I told you." Carl laughed.

"Well then, you wait here, I'll ask her in person then."

"Wait, let me come with you." Carl already stood up from the bed, ready to go.

"What did I tell you today?" Jack asked and Carl looked back with confused eyes.

"Uh, what did you tell me?"

"She doesn't like strangers in her room."

"I'm a stranger to you?"

"No!", Jack said, raising his hands. "Not to me, but to her. I don't know she's weird with things like that, I'm sorry."

Carl shrugged his shoulder. "Nah, it's fine, I'll wait here then."

"Thank you." Jack said and kissed Carl on the cheek. "I'll be right back."

"Hopefully with good news!" Carl said after him and Jack closed the door behind him. Now Carl's alone in that big room and it felt empty now.

It was quiet and Carl was not used to the silence. In his house there's always at least someone screaming but here were no noises or whatsoever. Carl can't imagine a life with just one sibling and a clean huge expensive looking house in a nice area.