Unexpected Time Travel Part 4

Chapter 4 

By mid-afternoon the next day, they made it to Camelot. "So we're here, now what?" Percival asked curiously. 

"Can we eat yet?" Gwaine almost whined. He'd been asking that the last two hours. Arthur sighed. 

"Yes, Gwaine, we can eat." Merlin said rolling his eyes. They set up camp out of sight from travelers. Merlin made enough so that Gwaine had three bowls full of food. Arthur frowned as he noticed that Merlin only ate half of what he had. Arthur never once saw Merlin eat so little. Maybe Merlin hadn't much to eat lately and his stomach shrunk so that he can't eat much. Arthur's frown deepened. Merlin got paid more than all of the servants and guards put together, even the guards got paid a little more than the servants. So where does all his money go to? He could understand if some of it went towards getting food on the table for him and Gaius but he wondered where the rest of it went. It definitely didn't go towards himself that's for sure. Arthur thought as he looked over his manservant. Merlin could get new boots or clothing but from the holes he could see, that didn't seem to be the case. Merlin looked up, noticing someone looking at him. He saw Arthur staring at him, frowning. Merlin wondered what could possibly have him doing that. Arthur seemed to have caught himself and looked away. Merlin shrugged and went back to picking at his food. He wasn't very hungry. He was worrying about what he had to do to prove what's happened is true to Kilgharrah and prove to him that Merlin is Emrys. He figured he'd have to use his Dragon Lord powers again to show to Kilgharrah that he is who he says he is. But that might not be enough... Merlin thought worriedly.  

"Merlin, what's got you so worried?" Arthur finally asked. 

"I'm not sure if Kilgharrah will believe me or not... He's very stubborn." 

"Oh so now you tell us this?" Merlin frowned. 

"Well, I wasn't thinking about that before. We'll just have to hope that he'll believe us." 

"What do you mean we have to hope?" Leon asked frowning. 

"Well we can't just turn back now. I don't want to mess anything up that will change anything in our time." Arthur sighed. 

"Alright, Merlin, we'll still go, but if he doesn't believe us, what are we going to do?" Merlin frowned. 

"I don't know... We could go to the Druids and ask around if they know anything." 

"Won't that change something in our time?" Elyan asked. 

"Not necessarily if we were to keep low key..." 

"Well, we'll worry about it if it comes to that. Right now, let's just rest up and get prepared for tonight." Arthur said uneasily. He really just wanted to go back to their time and kiss and hug his wife. He hoped they made it back safely and that nothing has changed. 

"We're going to have to ask Gwen some questions to know if we've changed anything." Merlin said, seeming to have read Arthur's mind. 

"What kind of questions?" Percival asked curiously. 

"We should ask her about the days before she was made queen." Merlin didn't want to think about those days, especially what Agravaine did in the end. That was something Merlin would never forgive Morgana for. It hurt so much because she'd been there to help ward off those men who attacked his village. Now there was nothing but ruins where Ealdor sits. Merlin was surprised that Cenred didn't use that as an excuse to attack Camelot. But then Merlin remembered that Morgana had said he was dead. Arthur nodded. 

"And we can ask her about some of the major battles." Arthur added. Merlin heard something and quickly distinguished the fire. 

"Someone or something is coming." He hissed when everyone looked at him with a WTF face. They grew serious instantly and stood up in defensive stances. Merlin quickly with his magic cleaned and put everything up. He motioned for the others to follow him and together the group inched away from the spot, Merlin covering their tracks and the fact that they had a fire going. Merlin wanted to make sure that no one could find them. They snuck off to a rock formation and hid behind it out of view of whatever was walking around.