The Unholy Trinity-Chapter Twenty-four

Tuesday morning, Fallon looked forward to going to school. It was the only way she and Lucian could move ahead with their plan. What they’d done last night was only the beginning.

Fallon smiled when she entered her English class and saw Wendy already seated at her desk. “Hey, Wendy,” she called, and Wendy’s eyes widened. “We had a great time last night. Maybe we should do it again sometime.”

Seeing Wendy clutch onto her old wooden crucifix made Fallon laugh out loud. Fallon slid in behind her desk and focused her gaze on Wendy. Even from where she sat, she could hear the sound of Wendy’s heart beating hard and fast. She had to give Wendy credit though. The girl didn’t look away. Of course, she did keep hold of that crucifix.

“Hey,” Griffin said as he took his seat next to Fallon. “How’s it going?”

“Fine,” Fallon said, not taking her eyes from Wendy.

Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Griffin’s grin. “Having some fun with the faithful I see.”

Finally Fallon released Wendy from her stare and turned wide eyes in Griffin’s direction. “I have no idea what you’re talking about. I’m just trying to be friendly.”

“Sure you are,” Griffin laughed.

The bell rang, and Mrs. Laird called for everyone’s attention. “Welcome back, students. I trust everyone enjoyed their spring break. Now, before we begin our next assignment studying the great poetry of Gary Soto and Sylvia Plath and the like, I thought we might do a writing assignment to shake those rusty brains loose.”

There was a collective groan. Fallon didn’t know what was worse, having to study poetry or being given another writing assignment. She sure hoped Mrs. Laird wasn’t going to make them write a stupid poem.

“Come now, this will be great fun,” Mrs. Laird assured them as she clapped her hands together. “And you’ll be especially pleased to know I will not be grading your punctuation, spelling, or grammar. Instead, I want to give you the opportunity to express yourself.”

Fallon wasn’t interested in expressing herself. The last time she got the chance to express herself in writing Mrs. Laird ripped her to shreds. 

“For the remainder of class, I’d like you to write about how you spent your spring vacation,” Mrs. Laird continued.

Fallon rolled her eyes. That was the kind of topic teachers gave in elementary school on the first day. Then they put everyone through the humiliation of getting up in front of the class and reading their papers out loud.

“You can do this in any format,” Mrs. Laird advised. “You can write an essay or a poem or a sonnet even, but it must be about what you actually did during your vacation. No wild stories please. That’s not the kind of creative writing I’m looking for.”

Writing about what Fallon actually did on her vacation would be out. Those wild stories the teacher didn’t want to hear about weren’t so wild for her. There was no way she could tell Mrs. Laird she’d telepathically communicated with her boyfriend or she’d used her black magic to cheat on an Easter egg hunt. She sure wouldn’t be able to write about what she’d done last night either. Fallon tore a piece of paper from her binder and began to write. Even though she knew Mrs. Laird wanted them to be creative, she kept her paper in an essay format. So what if she got another C plus? The last time she’d put what she thought was a lot of effort into her paper only to get ridiculed by the teacher. This time, she fudged a paper about all the fun she and her mom had visiting her aunt Ellen and how much closer she’d grown to both of them. It was the kind of thing adults ate up so she figured it would be enough to get her at least another C plus.