The Unholy Trinity-Chapter Six

Fallon’s jaw hit her lap as her mother pulled in front of Lucian’s house. At least, she thought it was his house. It was kind of hard to tell what was hidden behind the black, metal security bars stretching into the sky. Her mother rolled down the window and pressed the call box. Within seconds, the gates began to creak open. When she spotted the house in the distance, Fallon suddenly wished she could be anywhere else. It was more wealth than she’d expected. The two story structure set back from the road looked more like a castle than a house. Her entire apartment would probably fit in one of its rooms.

The road took them almost to the front of the house where her mom parked the car. As they walked toward the door, Fallon glanced back at their car and realized how out of place their Camry looked parked beside the fleet of luxury cars. For a fleeting moment, she wondered how the car felt. Was it as embarrassed as she was to be something so ordinary surrounded by so much opulence? Her mother rang the doorbell, and they waited just seconds before the door was opened for them. Fallon smiled to see Lucian standing there instead of some stuffy butler.

“Hey,” he said. “You didn’t have any trouble finding the house, did you?”

“Are you kidding?” Fallon scoffed. “The biggest house in town is kind of hard to miss.”

The sound of laughter erupted from behind Lucian. “I wouldn’t say it’s the biggest, but it’s nothing to sneeze at.” 

Fallon watched the approach of Simeon Locke with wide eyes. Tall and muscular with broad shoulders and a barrel chest, he would’ve made an imposing figure if he wasn’t so handsome. Like his younger twin brothers, he had dark hair and matching eyes, but he also had full lips and a perfect set of teeth to go along with it. He looked just like those guys she’d seen on the cover of those romance books her mom liked to read, the ones that always wore the wide open pirate shirts to show off their big hairy chests. Fallon cut her eyes toward her mother and grimaced to see her wide smile and rosy cheeks. From the way he smiled back at them, it was obvious Simeon was used to women drooling on him.

Simeon looked Fallon up and down. “You must be Fallon,” he guessed and then turned his gaze to her mom. “And you must be her older sister.”

The sound of her mother’s soft giggle grated on Fallon’s nerves.

“I’m Fallon’s mother, Gwen Keyes,” she said and extended her hand.

Simeon took her hand and pressed it to his lips. “Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Keyes,” he said. “My name is Simeon Locke, and I’m the boys’ guardian.”

“Boys?” Gwen repeated with a small frown.

Simeon chuckled as he reached out to wrap a hand around the back of Lucian’s neck. “That’s right,” he agreed. “This guy’s got an identical twin brother.”

This time it was Fallon’s turn to appraise Simeon. Everything about him seemed so normal. Nothing in the way he looked or the words he spoke gave any hint he was a son of the devil.

“You must keep busy with twin teenage boys,” Gwen continued.

Fallon shot her mom a hard stare. Leave already, she thought.

“I manage,” Simeon said. “So, what time should we have her home?”

“Oh, you don’t have to bring her home,” Gwen said. “I don’t mind coming to get her.”

Since when? Fallon thought.

Half the time, it took hours of begging just to get her mom to take her places. The other half, she always had to come up with some compromise like taking the bus home if she got a ride there.