Chapter Seventeen-Nathan

The next afternoon Nathan received a text from an unknown number.

Meet me at the old lumber mill on the east side of town. We're going hiking.

Paige?

Who else would text from an unknown number asking you to go hiking?

That wasn't an ask. That was a demand.

So you have your answer then.
20 minutes. Or I'm leaving with out you.

Nathan smiled. He was going to see her, he was going to talk to her from more than a couple of minutes. He was apprehensive but ready. This was a long time coming. He ran into Patrick on the way out of the pack house. "Where are you going?"

"Hiking."
"Since when do you go hiking?"
"Since my mate asked me too."
"You're going hiking alone with her?"
"Yes."
"I'm coming." He set the sandwich he was about to eat down.
"Patrick-"
"Nate, I don't want to hear it. She's a risk to your safety, I don't want you alone with her."
"I'm pretty sure I can take her."
"Can you? Yes. Will you? No, not if it hurts her. You're too compromised." He grabbed his keys.
"You're not even dressed for hiking. And I don't have time to wait for you."
"Then we'd better go."

Nathan looked at his Beta and knew nothing he would say right now would move him from his course. He shook his head and followed him to the garage. They drove to the edge of town and pulled up to the mill. She was nowhere to be found but the 20 minutes weren't up yet. She should be here. He sent her a text.

 He sent her a text

I'm here.
Where are you?

Round the back.

They drove to the back of the mill. She was sitting in the front seat of an old Jeep J10, door open, legs hanging out the side. She jumped down as they pulled closer. She looked like a vision. Wearing a pair of brown hiking pants, t-shirt and vest, she looked like could be photographed for an LL Bean catalogue. She had tamed her curls back into a braid and covered them with a baseball hat. This was the Paige he remembered. Adventurous, daring, comfortable in her own skin.