Loving Yourself

Dr. Raynor was notified about one of her clients assaulting a man on the street. She was notified that her infamous client Bucky Barnes assaulted a man named John Meyers. A known ex-boyfriend of one of his teammate and friend Y/n L/n. Raynor was not surprised however, because she knew Bucky's history with her. She knew about how much he cared, respected and loved her.

Bucky sat in a stale room, Raynor starring at him in disappointment. "So, you punched the girl you love, boyfriend in the face?" She rhetorically points out flopping down her pad on the coffee table. "Ex - boyfriend. They broke up a month ago." He gruffed looking at his hands. Like a child who got busted for taking cookies from the cookie jar.

"Ah, yes her ex - boyfriend. So, tell me why you punched the woman you love ex - boyfriend?" "He threatened to hurt her if she didn't take him back. Trust me doc I would have killed him if she wasn't there." Finally looking into her eyes intently. "Does she know that?" "No, she doesn't need to know how horrible I am." She hums in understanding, "You can't love someone else without loving yourself, Mr. Barnes." "Bullshit."

She scoffs, fed up with his contradictory, "bullshit? What's exactly is bullshit?" "I don't have to love myself and love her at the same time. You want to know how I know?" She nods no intrigued. "Because I don't give a shit about me, I literally do not care what happens to me. I deserve whatever comes to me. Her on the other hand. Doc, if someone even thinks about harming a hair on her head. I would make them wish that they never set foot near her. If I am sad, I would get over it. If she is sad, I would hold her till everything is ok again. So, doctor you tell me if I have to love myself to love her."

"If you can understand these feelings, why don't you tell her?" "Tell her? No, no that will not work because she could never love a man like me. Even if she does love me back, and slim as that is she shouldn't."

"Why?"

"I already told you! She deserves to be happy and safe. I can't do that for her." He raises his voice frustrated that he has to keep reliving this. "Cause you can't do it for yourself. hand me your phone." Without a word he hands her his phone with a sigh. "You, ignored most of Sam's calls." "He annoys me." "No, he doesn't. You ignored most of Steve's calls." "Wasn't in the mood to talk." "You weren't in the mood to talk twelve time in the pass week?" "Yes." "But the same day you answered Y/n's calls?" "Yes." "All three of them." "She was reading and wanted to tell me about it."

"She tells you about the books she reads, as she reads them?" Raynor deadpans. "She gets excited." "Right, well Mr. Barnes I have an assignment for you." "That would be?" "Ask the girl of your dreams out, and if you don't, I will call her and tell her everything." "You wouldn't." "Try me."

The session ended and Bucky walked to his bike. The cold New York air stung his face. As he mounted his back taking out his phone and dialing Y/n number with a sigh. "Bucky? I am so glad you called. I wanted to check in make sure you were ok; I saw what happened with John. Bucky I am worried about you, if something happened you can tell me everything." God, she is sweeter than caramel. Bucky thought as a small smile tugged on his lips. "Yeah, it was eventful. Hey, sugar I wanted to ask you something." "Is everything okay?" "Yeah, everything is fine. I just really wanted to ask you if you wanted to. I would understand if you wouldn't but -"

Interrupting him, "Bucky are you okay?" "Yes, I just wondered if you would like to go on a date sometime." "A date? Like date, date?" "Yeah, just forget it I know it's -" "Bucky I would love too." "stu -wait what?" "I would love too; I have liked you for a while. I didn't know you felt the same way." "Oh, sweetheart if you only knew."