Chapter 8

(Sparrow's POV)

The chase went on for a while.

I heard the sirens, but went undetected by everyone as I tracked down Robin. His strategy was a remarkable one - taking on a new appearance while going deep into the darker areas of Tokyo. A dive bar, to be exact.

Surprise and adrenaline coursed through me as I teleport my way to him. I caught up to the massive chase on the highway, where police helicopters and cars dared to stop him. Watching him on that motorcycle opened my eyes to a Robin I hardly saw - the Robin who knew how to play on the other side.

Today isn't anyone's day.

I was about to teleport again when I stopped and flew up into the air, watching in shock as Robin was forced to a halt on the motorcycle - Daizo and his troopers, including the choppers, had him surrounded on both sides, and they were fully armed.

Crud, he's not going to make it out alone.

"Give up my friend! You cannot win!" Daizo used his large microphone to get the message across. As I looked down, I could see that Robin wasn't afraid of any of them. He was as calm as could be as he hopped off the motorcycle, staring down Daizo with nothing but an eerily calm poker face.

He knows.

Robin's arms were in the air, giving me the perfect opportunity.

I teleport and popped up right next to him. As soon as he noticed my presence, he grabbed a hold of my waist as I teleport us away from Daizo and his force. A smile made its way to my lips as I took a mental snapshot of Daizo's face when I showed up.

He clearly wasn't happy.

~

I managed to contact my teammates and let them know that I found Robin. We were now in the temple lodge I found when I arrived, a beautiful one at that. I used my power to light incense sticks on the way in, to calm the nerves - well, my nerves. I was nervous for what I was about to do, but nonetheless, I had to do it.

Robin and I were facing each other, on our knees. I luckily found another uniform for Robin to change into. 

I will admit, his criminal getup - the shaggy black hair, sunglasses, the white trench coat, and dark outfit underneath looked very good on him. It brought me back to the night we infiltrated couples at the local museum in Jump City. His hair was shaggy that night, and he wore sunglasses to conceal his eyes.

I took a quiet breath, and looked up into Robin's sunglasses. I could tell he was waiting for me to explode or react noticeably. Feeling the familiar old mask slip back onto my face, I kept my voice soft and calm as I updated him. 

"You're not the only one who was chased down. As you heard, we were all attacked. This place should be safe for a bit, but we'll have to keep moving as soon as we regroup."

"Thank you," Robin said softly. I nodded. I could tell he knew I was masking my emotions, because his jaw tensed as he looked at me. 

I pushed Robin's uniform towards him, turning around, "I'll give you a minute. I need to scope out this place and make sure it's still-"

"Sparrow." Robin's hand stopped me, and turned me back towards him. His face morphed into one of shock, of concern, and guilt, but somehow, the love was still there, "Please... Let me explain what happened earlier today."

I nodded, "Go ahead."

"I was caught off guard when Starfire kissed me earlier today. It might seem that I reciprocated, but that wasn't the case. If I would have wanted to throw everything we have away, wouldn't I have been chased down earlier with her by my side?"