VIII

Nothing had been normal since our last conversation. Tae Sung had been as irregular in classes as ever and students have been more and more curious about really happened to him. Since that day, I barred myself from meeting him, in the fright of what he will induce in my brain, like the last time. And I will choose to believe in him.

Because those words felt like truth. And I would rather be comfortable with lies.

Five days had passed with his absence and I was only getting more impatient. My mind couldn't possibly get off the thought of him being in trouble again. Of him not asking for help even though he is in brutal pain. Cause I had been there and I know how it felt.

Sitting in the classroom with these thoughts, I heard murmurs all around about Tae Sung until the faculty enters and shut us up. Out of nowhere, a guy suddenly shot up from his chair and questioned the faculty, uttering everyone's thoughts, "Sir, what about Tae Sung? He has been absent for a whole week. Is there any news?"

The faculty put his books on the table, "You guys don't know? Tae Sung will be moving abroad. He has been selected in Harvard University."

The whole classroom went loud with shock as people couldn't believe their ears. And so was the case with me. This was what he might be planning all alone. Avoiding the problem rather than facing it heads on. But with me who was always running away from problems to the point that made it pathetic and cowardly, there's no way he was doing it without confronting me.

After classes, I got to work of finding that guy who suddenly turned into a top-level celebrity than he already was. I asked around the university and coerced my friends, Da Hyun and Ji won for help. Ji won went around utilizing her date resources and Da Hyun inquired online.

Da Hyun looked at me, "Are you sure this is worth it Seri?"

I nodded, "Do me this favor."

Even after searching for the whole day we ended up with empty hands. Da Hyun and Ji won were so tired that they couldn't even stand up. I sighed and sat on the bed, overwhelmed with convictions. 

I should have known. There were no ways finding him if he doesn't want me to find him. On the contrary, it's not the same for him. He can find me even if I hide under the sea. But I couldn't.

Frustrated I gave up, "Let's go have dinner."

At the table we poked our spoons into the food because of the growling exasperation in our stomach.

"Ughhh seriously!!!" Ji won banged the spoon into her plate, "That jerk literally. Why the hell he would to disappear in thin air and cause such a ruckus."

Da Hyun put a spoonful in her mouth, "Probably he doesn't understand. That people can worry about him." And looked at me.

I sighed and covered my face with my hands to deal with the current circumstances, when suddenly some guy barged in the dining place, "Heyyy!! Listen up everyone."

We looked up to find a student addressing us, "Have you checked the recent blog in our university website? If not, go into it."

"It says Park Tae Sung is the illegitimate son of Park Yun Seo!!"

FUCK.

The sirens in my head went off as air got stuck in my lungs suffocating me to death. No, this can't be happening. No, this really can't. This must be a dream. But only it's not.

Across me, Da Hyun and Ji won checked the website to look up the blog, as the dining hall bursts up with half the people admiring him and the other half cursing him because of his privileges.