Chapter 04: Lava, Also Known as a Soft Heart

On November 7th, it was the beginning of winter.

In the southern region, winter wasn't particularly cold, even though it was officially the start of winter, and the temperatures had only dropped a few degrees symbolically. Lu Wanwan, wearing a short skirt and short boots, paired with a white oversized sweater, headed out for the day.

She arrived at the baking activity room early, tied up her hair, put on an apron, and called a local delivery service. She had scheduled the delivery for an hour later. She had asked Fan Yi about it yesterday and learned that Ren Chu's birthday celebration would be held at the restaurant "Tomorrow," so she had used that address for the order. All she had to do now was have the delivery service take the cake to Ren Chu. It was just a cake, after all.

However, today she had to get up early as she had originally planned to prepare another cake for her class monitor, Song Rongrong.

After some consideration, she decided to make a lava cake.

She took out butter and dark chocolate, cut them into small pieces, and melted them together, stirring until they were completely melted before setting them aside. She separated the egg whites from the yolks, added three spoonfuls of sugar, and used an electric mixer to beat them into a thick, sticky mixture.

Lu Wanwan checked the temperature by touch, and the bowl containing the chocolate mixture had cooled down to a warm temperature. It was just right. She added the egg mixture to it, along with a spoonful of rum for flavor, and stirred for about five minutes. Then she added some low-gluten flour.

Once all the ingredients in the bowl were no longer visible as white streaks, Lu Wanwan placed the batter in the refrigerator to chill. She had a bit of trouble choosing a mold; after all, Song Rongrong was the type of girl who was very composed, and the molds she had were more on the cute side, which didn't quite fit. After a bit of deliberation, she chose a rose-shaped mold, coated it with butter, and dusted it with powdered sugar.

Choosing the mold took a good half an hour, and when she looked at the clock, she quickly took the batter out of the refrigerator and preheated the oven. She poured the batter into the rose-shaped mold. With that mold prepared, she still had half of the batter left, so she chose a regular round mold and poured the remaining batter into it. Then she placed both molds in the oven.

In her cramped refrigerator, yesterday's cake was still sitting there. She took it out and used chocolate sauce to complete the abbreviation of Ren Chu's name on top. Then she added a "Happy Birthday" chocolate sign. She chose a mint green cake box and placed the cake inside, tying a beautiful ribbon with a flower on top.

Just as she was about to leave, her phone rang; the delivery person from Flash Express had arrived. Her lava cake was also done baking.

Lava cake, also known as "heart too soft," had to be eaten while it was hot to maintain its texture, so she had prepared an insulated box for it.

Carrying both cakes, she hurried towards the school gate.

"This is the address. Please be careful with it. Thank you," Lu Wanwan repeatedly reminded the delivery guy before handing over the cakes.

After seeing off the delivery, she carried the cake in the insulated box and headed towards the female dormitory. On the way, she called Song Rongrong.

She waited downstairs for a few minutes until Song Rongrong arrived, still wearing her usual icy demeanor.

"Lu Wanwan? Is there something you need?"

"Class Monitor, happy birthday!" Lu Wanwan took out the cake box from the insulated container and handed it to Song Rongrong.