Chapter 22

As the morning sun gently filtered through the curtains, Althea found herself in a bed in the 141 base. She assumed that this was her room at the base, but this was the first she had seen of it. The soft warmth of her blankets cocooned her, and for a moment, she lingered in that blissful state between dreams and reality. The sensation of her body sinking into the comfortable mattress made her cherish this moment even more. She stretched her limbs, feeling the tension of a good night's sleep melt away. The soft rustling of the sheets and the soothing hum of a distant morning breeze created a peaceful symphony in her room.

With a languid grace, Althea pushed herself into a sitting position, her eyes slowly adjusting to the gentle light that bathed the room. The room was a simple one, just a bed and a desk. She took a deep breath, her chest rising and falling with each inhale and exhale. She hadn't felt this well-rested in a long time. Her gaze wandered to the bandages on her wrist, noticing they were fresh, and expertly applied. Perhaps a nurse had come in and changed them for her, she mused. She got into the shower, taking as long as she dared to scrub her body clean of all the dirt and grime from the day before.

Drying her hair, her thoughts turned to Ghost, who had not only risked his own life by rushing straight to her aid but also dealt with the hostile soldier so efficiently. A tugging feeling in her heart reminded her that she hadn't even thanked him for his help yet. As she sat there, her mind wandered to their recent encounters, and she realized that she had barely scratched the surface of understanding this enigmatic soldier.

Before she could consider other options, she found herself at a five-star coffee shop a mile away from the base, fussing over what kind of drink to get him. The barista there was kind to her, giving her recommendations on what kind of tea to order for him. She was torn between Earl Grey and English Breakfast tea, her fingers hovering over the choices. She glanced at the barista, seeking guidance, and ended up buying... both. She felt satisfied with her choice, but her wallet did not share the sentiment. She then bought herself the sugariest drink the shop had to offer, a guilty pleasure to calm her nerves.

Slurping her drink happily, she set off back to the base to deliver the drinks. The walk allowed her time to reflect on her motivations. What was driving her to seek out Ghost? Was it gratitude, curiosity, or something else entirely? She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but whatever it was gnawed at her thoughts.

Upon arriving at his door, she felt a sudden nervousness, making her hesitate before knocking on the door. She shook it off, finally gathering the courage to knock gently. It was really the least she could do, considering all that he had done for her. He had already helped patch her up twice and consistently saved her ass from every dangerous situation they got into. She heard footsteps inside the room, the floor creaking under their weight as he opened the door. She had forgotten how much bigger he was. All of the other soldiers were tall too, but he seemed slightly more giant-like than the rest of them. Perhaps it was that aura that seemed to always surround him, wrapping around her senses like a scarf, smothering everything else until she could only focus on him.

"Hey." He was dressed in a simple black t-shirt and sweatpants, his disheveled appearance somehow adding to his rugged charm. Wait what? Why was Althea thinking that? His mask was slightly askew, and his eyes were still half-closed as if she had woken him up. Althea immediately felt herself start to sweat. She was never nervous like this in battle. What was going on? She blinked, trying to clear her head enough to get a few words out.

"Hi!" Althea held out the drinks she bought, her fingers trembling ever so slightly. "I got you the tea I owe you!" She smiled eagerly, though her heart raced. "I didn't know which one you would like, so I got both Earl Grey and English Breakfast. I just wanted to say thank-"

He interrupted her. "Thanks." He took both cups from her hands, his fingers bumping against hers for a fleeting moment. He then promptly slammed the door shut right in her face. Althea just stood there, hands still outstretched, trying to process what had just happened. What the hell? Althea's cheeks flushed in embarrassment and confusion, a mixture of emotions swirling within her. Had she done something wrong? Had she overstepped her boundaries as a fellow soldier? She debated whether or not to knock again, but decided against it. If it ended this badly this time, it'll probably be worse if I knock again. She really hadn't meant to upset him, especially since she came to thank him. Casting a forlorn look at the door, she turned and left.

---

As Althea sat down for dinner, she decided she would find where Ghost was sitting and apologize to him. She didn't know what she did wrong, but she hoped that he would forgive her. Maybe then she could also thank him for saving her. She really had no idea what else she could do to thank him. She chose a seat that allowed her to see the door and find Ghost so she could talk to him.

However, Althea finished her dinner, watching the door closely. Soldiers came and went, but there was no sign of Ghost. After waiting an eternity, the kitchens were about to close, so Althea convinced them to give her a second serving of soup before she left. She couldn't shake the feeling of unease, wondering why Ghost had reacted the way he did earlier. Her mind raced with thoughts of their encounter, and she was determined to unravel the mystery surrounding this enigmatic soldier. She decided that she would brave the unknown and try again to knock on his door. 

A/N: Hey!!! THANKS FOR READING!!! For those of you who are new readers and just binged my entire book, thank you SO MUCH FOR CHOOSING MINE!!! It truly means so much to me that you decided to read this one. I leave little notes like these on every one of my chapters to remind you all of how happy this makes me, and how much I'm sure that you make others happy. always remember that you are LOVED. Have the best day ever! See you guys tomorrow!