Chapter 7

Althea was the last to finish gearing up. She had to convince the soldiers to give her knives back before going. She immediately felt more comfortable now that she had her knives back and could feel the sharp outline of them in her belt. She twirled one around her finger, whistling to herself as she stocked up on bullets and a sniping rifle. She paused before grabbing an SMG off the wall in addition to the rifle. Although she was most comfortable with knives, she was adequate with guns, and she would need them for this mission.

She followed the rest of the team to a group of vehicles waiting to take them to the location. She found her designated vehicle and climbed in. As the team settled into their respective vehicles, the engines roared to life, and the convoy of vehicles began their journey toward the mission location. Althea's mind was focused on the task ahead, her fingers absentmindedly tracing the edges of her knives as the landscape outside the window blurred by. She wasn't nervous about the mission, she never was. She knew she could handle herself. However, she had a partner this time. She was a bit worried that Ghost disliked or mistrusted her enough to let her die out there. She zoned out, twirling her knife around her finger.

She noticed the man next to her staring. She turned to glare, but she realized it was the man with the mohawk.

When she turned his head towards him, he smiled, making her cringe a little. "Althea, right? Heard you've got quite the reputation for handling knives."

Althea nodded, a little apprehensive. Was he not nervous or afraid of her? She would have thought he would have been slow to grow accustomed and learn to trust her. "Yeah. What about you?"

He grinned at her. He had an infectious kind of energy about him. "Well, you know how it is. Just doing what needs to be done. But I've got to say, I'm curious about those fancy knife tricks I've heard about."

The corner of her mouth quirked slightly. "Maybe if we have time I'll show you during the mission."

Soap raised an eyebrow. "Tempting offer. But let's focus on the mission for now. Wouldn't want to get distracted."

Althea sighed in mock disappointment, "Come on, are you saying my knife skills aren't cool enough to handle a little show and tell?"

Soap smirked. "I'm sure your knife skills are great. It's just that I started reading this great book called 'How to Not Die', and I think that if I died out there it would prove I didn't learn anything from the book." Althea put on an expression of mock sadness. "I promise we'll have a proper show. As long as you promise not to accidentally throw any knives in my direction."

Althea put on an innocent expression. "Me? Never. Anyways, if I did accidentally kill you, I would never get to see those awesome shooting skills of yours."

Soap and Althea talked for the rest of the trip, making it seem a lot shorter. The vehicles eventually reached the shore where a line of boats awaited them. The mission was taking them across the water, and the team would have to use boats to reach their destination. Althea's heart raced with a mix of anticipation and tension. She had a knack for adapting to various environments, but the presence of Ghost added an extra layer of complexity.

A/N: Thanks for reading! <3