Chapter 5: Coexistence

In this chapter I'll talk about how we can coexist with other people and I'll also talk in reference to people that still are in the closet. Coexisting can be hard most of the time. Not everyone will respect you, they may threaten you, and most of the time they will try to convert you. Other thing you should keep in mind is: if a religious group is doing something you don't agree with (teaching creationism at public schools, Westboro Baptist Church protests, etc.) you can go and say whatever you want. Reason why, my advices are more directed for when atheists are treating people that are just believers.

Respect: I know a lot of atheists that go to theists that didn't/haven't done anything to them, and they attack them (e.g: someone praying in a restaurant). There's no need to be so hostile. Sometimes theists are just curious, and atheists scare them and make them not wanting to meet anyone that is an atheist. Also, if you want to be respected, you need to respect people. Even though, if you want to make jokes about their ideologies, is ok. Ideologies aren't equal to people.

There're times when isn't necessary to come out: I mean, if someone's baby died and they only have you (they don't know you're an atheist), and they want you to accompany them to a Church/funeral, or an old lady will give you a hand-crafted religious symbol, it isn't the time to come out.

Don't shove your ideals through anyone's throat: it's ok to share your atheism in your social networks, using t-shirts, jewelry, etc. But, don't go and shove it through everyone's throat trying to force them to be how you are and things like that.

Tolerance: is good to have tolerance. Sometimes you have to tolerate some theists that may be annoying (it could even be someone in your family), and it's good to try and not get too mad/stressed. You may end up saying gibberish and you will have to apologize later for that reason.

Also, it's good to be respectful and tolerant. But, it's good to draw a line for some people. In the same way you respect, tolerate, and don't shove your ideas, people (theists) should be the same way. You may also get some bad feedback when publishing things in your social networks. So, try to answer to them in a mature way.