The Killer

We had only one place left to go: Jake's cabin

We had only one place left to go: Jake's cabin. We had no money left; we had spent it all on that hotel. I for one, felt a lot safer at Jake's cabin. Someone was after us at our hotel. That guy with the ski mask who broke into our room nearly killed Chase. And while I was escaping him, I looked back and saw a small hole in the ski mask, and a streak of dark brown hair flowing out of it. Much like Ryder's, but his hair stuck up, it wouldn't fit through the hole of the ski mask.

I stayed behind Chase as he knocked on Jake's front door. I heard some things moving around inside, and he opened the door. "Well if it isn't the prison escapee," Jake said cheerfully, which was weird. "What brings you here?" I thought he would have panicked at first, he probably thought Chase killed Everest, but he seemed calm and collected. Two things that didn't describe Jake in these past few days. "We need a place to stay," I told him. "We think Ryder did it." Jake looked confused. "Ryder? Well, come on in, then."

He led us to the couch, and limped to his rocking chair. We told him everything, the phone calls, the Morse code, everything. He listened carefully, and took in everything we were saying. He listened to us, and by the looks of it, believed us.

"Wow." Jake sat back in his rocking chair after processing everything we had just told him. That's some pretty foolproof evidence. Sure, you guys can stay over while we work things out." A smile appeared on Chase's face. "Thanks, Jake. You're a real life saver."

He led us to Everest's old room. "You guys can sleep in here. No going in my room, and when you get hungry you can help yourselves to whatever's in the cupboard." I found it weird that he thought we had any interest in going into his room, but I didn't question it, since he was giving us a place to stay.

"What now?" I asked, as soon as we were all settled in. "We have to explore first," Said Chase. "We see what we'll find. Especially in Jake's room." I didn't like the thought of going against the one rule that Jake had. "Do we really have to? Jake is giving us a place to stay, and it would be very rude to break his one rule." Chase gave me a weird look. "We have to solve this. I'll break however many rules it takes." I opened my mouth to protest, but I thought against it. Chase wasn't going to change his mind. "Well, just leave me out of it." I said.

I slept on Everest's dog bed for a while, it was so relaxing, almost as great as the hotel beds. I found myself extremely bored, so I looked around for Marshall and Chase. They had left the room a while ago.

I heard laughing coming from outside my door. I crept out of Everest's room, and peeked outside, where I saw Jake, Chase and Marshall all laughing about something around the fire that was always burning. "Yeah," Jake stopped laughing and sat back down in his chair. "She was a good pup." Chase spotted me, and gave me a small smile. I wanted to join them, but I thought it was too late. I just sat there and watched them have a good time. I thought Jake would have been more cautious since Chase's name still hadn't been cleared, but I guess not.

The group was interrupted by a knock on the door. "Hide!" Jake hissed. Chase and Marshall scrambled towards Everest's bedroom, from where I was watching them. I pretended I hadn't heard what was going on, but I followed Marshall as Chase shut the door behind us. We heard the door swing open.