Part Fifty-Nine

FLASHBACK CONT…

“So what possessed your Dad to move to America again?” Aston asked as he leaned over me to peer out the plane window. We were just a few minutes from landing somewhere in North Carolina.

“Caroline wanted to,” I shrugged, “I’m not fully sure why but she said she saw this area in a film and wanted to go. They went a few years ago and loved it and ever since Caroline has been begging to retire here.”

“So your Dad did it for Caroline? That’s sweet.”

“They’re like properly in love,” I replied, “And my Dad wanted to retire somewhere hot and this was as good a choice as any.”

“It looks cool,” Aston said, looking out the window again.

We were flying low over quiet little seaside towns on a small prop plane. We’d landed in a bigger city a few hours previous and had changed to the small plane to get out closer to my Dad’s new town.

“Ready?” Aston asked as I followed him off the plane.

“Yup!”

It was warm when we got outside to get our rental car, but not too hot. A lovely breeze was blowing in from the ocean and we could smell the salt water.

“This is so not like LA,” I laughed.

“Kind of the opposite really.”

“I think I like it better.”

“LA is good for what I do,” Aston said, “But I’d never want to live there full time.”

“I agree.”

After a battle with the Sat Nav, we were off on to the highway towards my Dad’s town. It was about a forty-five minute drive, and when we pulled up in town I was not only starving but also ready to get out of the car and explore. Everything seemed like it was out of a movie.

“What’s the house number again?” Aston asked.

“4312.”

“There,” he said, pointing ahead at a mailbox. It was rested in a flower pot with weeds pouring out.

“Clearly they aren’t caught up on the upkeep,” I laughed.

“Or they’re just properly retired from everything,” Aston said, pulling the car into the drive and turning it off.

I jumped out and ran straight to the front door where both my Dad and Caroline were standing waiting to greet us.

“Hey guys!” I grinned, throwing my arms around both of them.

They greeted Aston and I and then led us into the house. It was a decent sized bungalow, with huge picture windows in every room that looked out at the ocean.

“Come see the outside,” Caroline said, pushing open a screen door.

Out back was a huge wrap around deck, with a swing on it and everything. “I love this,” I grinned, grabbing Aston’s hand as I wandered down through the back garden towards the beach.

“It really is great,” my Dad replied, “Wish we’d come here sooner.”

“Well I approve,” I said smiling.

Aston and I eventually dragged our bags in from the car and then the four of us walked down the street to a small beach side café for dinner. My Dad and Aston chatted about their jobs as Caroline and I talked music, the four of us eventually falling silent as the sun started to go down.

“What’s that noise?”

“Cicadas,” my Dad said, “And crickets.”

“It’s weird! But I sort of love it.”

“They’re only out in the summer really,” Caroline said, “But the noise they make kind of becomes normal. I hardly notice them anymore.”

“It’s definitely unique,” Aston laughed.

“I like it!”

We finished up at the café and then wandered back down to my Dad’s house. He dragged out a case of local beers and we sat on the back porch and sipped on them as we chatted.

“Firefly!” I laughed, pointing out towards the beach.

“They’re everywhere,” my Dad said off-handedly.

“I love them!”

“C’mon let’s go catch one,” Aston said, grabbing his empty beer bottle and dragging me up from my seat by the hand.

I chased after him down to the beach, keeping an eye out for a fluorescent yellow glow.

“There!” I whispered, darting towards the light.

“Missed him I think,” Aston said, coming up behind me.

“No wait, there!”

I scoped up the little bug and held him carefully in my hand, eventually pouring him carefully into the beer bottle.

“Do you think he’ll be ok in there?” I asked.

“He’s probably getting drunk off the last drops of beer.”

“Shut up Ast!” I laughed, swatting his stomach lightly.

We stood there for a minute, watching the bug crawl up the side of the bottle. Eventually he lit up again, causing Aston and I both to grin widely.

“We should let him go,” I said after a minute, “I feel bad.”

“How nice of you.”

“What were you going to keep him in there? What if he has a family?”

“I’m kinding Jess,” Aston said, shaking the bug out of the bottle on to his hand and letting him fly away.

“I know, I just like to tease you,” I grinned, giving Aston a quick kiss and then grabbing his hand and wandering back up to the house.

When we got to our seats on the porch we saw that the table was now empty. “Wonder where they went?” Aston mused.

“No clue, I’ll go check,” I said, “And get another round.”

“Thanks,” Aston said, sitting down at the table again.

I pushed my way into the house, catching Caroline pouring a glass of water in the kitchen, fully kitted out in her dressing gown.

“You going to bed?” I asked.

“Yeah. Your Dad and I thought we’d leave you two to have some alone time.”

“You don’t have to.”

“We’re tired,” she shrugged, “We’re old, remember?”

“Shush!”

“We’ll see you in the morning,” she replied, giving me a quick hug, “Oh and Jess… I’m glad you found someone you’re so utterly in love with.”

I felt my cheeks burn red at her statement, a smile creeping on my face. “I’m glad too,” I whispered.

“Go to your man then,” Caroline said.

“I am! Good night!” I laughed, grabbing two more beers and heading outside.

Aston had moved to the porch swing, rocking it back and forth as he stared out at the dark beach.

“Hey husband, here you go,” I said, sitting down next to him and passing over the beer.

“Lovely thank you wife.”

I grinned over at him, stealing a kiss before leaning my head on his shoulder. “Can we retire and buy a beach house right now?” I asked, “Only, this is totally perfect.”

“I think we’ve got a bit more life to live before that’s allowed,” Aston said, “But when we get to that point we’ll get whatever house you want.”

“You’re sweet,” I grinned, closing my eyes as we rocked back and forth.

With the gentle North Carolina breeze blowing us, we both rocked off to sleep right there on the back porch. And every time we went back to visit my Dad, we made it our tradition to spend the first night out on the back deck, cicadas buzzing and all.