The Charity Event - Part 2 (Updated)

Millie leaves the stage with her band mates, George, Fran and Carlos are waiting on the sidelines for them.

Fran is crying, well, more sobbing. She tries to congratulate everyone but cannot get her words out. Charles embraces her, kisses her forehead, and tells her that he loves her.

Lando appears alongside them, loitering towards the back of the group, staying silent. He makes eye contact with Lewis and gives him a nod of acknowledgement.

"You were amazing mi amor" Carlos states and plants a kiss on Millie's cheek.

"Carlos!" Shouts Millie, smacking his arm playfully.

"What's wrong? You don't complain any other time." he responds cheekily, giving George a wink.

George shoots Carlos a look, "Do you have a death wish Sainz?"

Carlos holds his hands up in innocence. "Won't happen again boss." trying to stifle his smile.

"He is right though Mills, you were amazing!" He beams, giving his sister a hug.

Millie's eyes meet Lando's, and she gives him a small smile.

"Well done Mills." He whispers.

"Thank you!" She mouths back, flashing him another smile.

Lando wants to talk to her, to apologise for the way he's acted, but now isn't the time, this is her moment, not his. So he turns around and heads back to his table.

He tries to compose himself, to work out what he will say to her. But it's too loud, there are too many people and his thoughts keep getting interrupted. He goes outside, to get some fresh air and clear his head.

Millie is also out there, sat on a bench with her head in her hands. Lando makes his way over cautiously.

"You ok?" He asks softly.

"Yeah. It's just a bit much in there, needed a bit of time to myself." She mutters, sitting back upright. "You ok?"

"Yeah, no, I don't know..." He whispers awkwardly, "Mind if I join you?"

Millie gestures for him to sit down, they both sit in silence for a while. Just staring at the night sky.

"Amelia?" Lando asks, glancing at her.

"Yes?" Millie responds, taken aback by what he's just said. Lando has never called her by her proper name.

He pauses for a moment, "I've been a rubbish friend haven't I?"

"Yeah, little bit" she replies softly, avoiding his eye contact.

Lando sighs, "I am so sorry. For everything. I just saw red and I was horrible to you and I understand if you never want to talk to me again."

"Lando.." Millie whispers.

"Please, just let me talk." He interrupts. "I like you Mills, like a lot. And I thought maybe, you liked me too. And I don't know I thought, or more hoped that we could be more than friends." He pauses for a second, clearing his throat. "But I've thrown it all away now haven't I? And for what? Stupid rumours and my own insecurities? I got it all wrong and I fucked up the one good thing I had."

Millie stares at her friend in utter shock, not knowing how to respond to his admission.

"I miss you Mills" Lando whispers

"I miss you too. But you really hurt me Lando.
And I desperately wanted to hate you, but I couldn't. And I think that's what hurt the most." Tears fill in Millie's eyes, and before long they flow down her cheeks.

She takes a deep breath and tries to compose herself. "I'm seeing someone."

Lando looks at her, his heart shattered. "Oh."

Millie wipes the tears from her eyes. "It's early days, nothing serious. And no, it's not Lewis. I feel like I owe it to you to tell you first hand."

Lando's eyes meet hers. "I'm happy for you Millie."

She averts his gaze, and looks to the floor chuckling slightly. "No you're not. But if it's any consolation. I did like you. A lot."

Lando gives her a small smile. "Well whoever it is he better not break your heart. Or he'll have me to deal with."

Millie giggles. "Lando Norris, my knight in shining armour. Now go. Enjoy the party. Don't let me keep you."

"Are you not coming in?" He asks concerned.

Millie shakes her head. "I think I'd rather be alone right now."

"Ok." Lando whispers, and he disappears inside.

The party is in full swing inside. Drinks are flowing, music is blaring, people are dancing. All these people, yet Lando has never felt so alone.

"You ok mate? You look like you've seen a ghost." Alex asks, sitting next to him.

"No not really." Lando chuckles.

He proceeds to to explain the entire situation, and Alex listens intently, offering advice when he can.

"What do I do mate?" Lando pleads.

Alex sighs, "Nothing you can do, you've a ready apologised. It's out of your hands now."

Lando frowns, wiping a tear from his cheek. "Yeah. I guess."

Just then Millie appears, "Am I interrupting?" She asks awkwardly.

"Not at all Mills." Alex gives her a small smile, "I'll leave you guys to it."

She takes a seat next to Lando and rests her head on his shoulder. "I really miss my best friend" she mutters tearfully.

"Oh Mills, come here." He whispers before giving her a long lingering embrace. "I'm not going anywhere okay?"

Millie nods, wiping her tears yet again.

"So, this mystery man. Am I allowed to know who it is?" He asks curiously, smirking slightly.

She laughs, "I'm not sure you'd want to know."

Lando furrows his brow "Oh so I know him then. Another driver?"

"Yeah. Another driver. Another one to add to my tally" She scoffs.

"Mills don't be like that. You know I didn't mean it." Lando mutters, "Go on then. Who is it?"

"Mi amor there you are" Carlos greets, making his way over.

"Oh. I see." Lando laughs. "Should have guessed."

Carlos places a soft kiss on her cheek. "Where have you been? I was worried"

"Sorry Carlos, I just needed some fresh air." She smiles, "Lando convinced me to come back inside. You have him to thank."

"Please come, I have something to show you." He squeals gleefully. "George is talking to a lady!"

"What?!" Amelia exclaims. "An actual woman?!"

"Oh this I have to see!" Lando laughs, following Carlos and Millie.