CHAPTER TWENTY: The War Zone.

"Check this out

"Check this out. The War Zone. I've been there once. It's huge. They got everything you need for, uh...Well, killing things, basically." Eddie shrugged. "You think fake Rambo has enough guns there? Is that a grenade? I mean, how is any of this legal?"

"Well, lucky for us it is, so... This... This place is just far enough outside of Hawkins. As long as we steer clear of main roads, we ought a be able to avoid cops and, uh, angry hicks." Eddie said. "If we're trying to avoid angry hicks, maybe we shouldn't go to some store called the War Zone."

"Normally, I'd agree, but we need the weapons. So I think it's worth the risk." Kate agreed with Nancy's sentence. "Me too.  But is it worth the time? It'll take all day to bike there and back." Dustin sighed. "Who said anything about bikes?"

"You got some car we don't know about?" Steve asked him. "It's not exactly a car, Steve. And it's not exactly mine, but, uh... it'll do. Hey, Red, uh, you got a ski mask or a bandanna, something like that?" Max thought for a second.

The group followed Eddie, who had Max's Halloween mask. "That was suffocating." Eddie jumped in the car, or house, or whatever. "Go! Come on." They all got in. Max and Kate stayed in the back. "Hey! Open this door! Hey! They locked the door!"

"Shit! Go!" Dustin shouted. "It's just a car. Everybody, hang on to something! Oh my God! Let's go! Let's go!" Steve shouted at them. Kate and Max sat down in the back. "Drive, Steve! Drive!" She shouted. "Go, go, go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Shit, they look pissed."

"It's not every day you lose your house and car in one fell swoop." Robin shrugged. "Hold on! Hold on! Them! Stop 'em! God bless it!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey. So I've been thinking, two of the three of Vecna's victims were seeing Ms. Kelley, right? At first, I was thinking, that maybe we could find someone cursed, but that brought me to this thought, that maybe there's someone else cursed. And I'm so worried and concerned, that he'll attack and even kill someone else, before we even get to do something." Kate rambled and Max put her hand over the brunette's mouth.

"Kate. It's gonna be okay. We're gonna kill him and then live happily ever after." Max smiled. "You have an idea, how you'll do it?" Max nodded. "I do. He uses my memories against me. But... only my darkest memories. Same with Chrissy and Fred, right? It's like he only sees the darkness in us. So, I'll just run in the opposite direction. Run to the light. And maybe he won't be able to find me there. Find a happy memory and hide there. Hide in the light."

"You got a memory in mind?" Max nodded. "Yeah. It was a time when I was the happiest." Kate looked down. "Was I there?" Kate looked back up at Max. "That's presumptuous of you. But yeah. You might've been there."

"But, I'm gonna remote-travel there and be there with you the whole time. Plus, Lucas is calling in Kate Bush the second you start to lift, okay?" Max nodded. "Deal."

After some time, they pulled up to The War Zone. Everyone except Lucas, Dustin and Eddie walked in. "Let's be fast." Kate nodded. "Definetely."

They kept shopping, until Nancy ran up to them, that Jason and his group are here. They quickly paid and walked in the car. "What happened?" Lucas asked. "Your old friends are here." Kate answered him. "Shit! Let's go! Let's go!" "I'm going! I'm going! Sit down!"

After some time, Steve pulled up at a random field, so they could prepare their weapons. Lucas and Erica were making spears, Eddie and Dustin shields, Max and Nancy were preparing Nancy's gun, Robin and Steve were making Molotov coctails and Kate was just sitting alone. She needed to have as much energy as possile, so she could protect Max. 

She was lost in though, until  a voice inturupted her. "Hey." She looked behind her and saw Max. "Hey." She smiled. "How're you holding up?" Kate chuckled. "Shouldn't I be the one asking you that?" Max chuckled and sat down next to Kate. 

Kate place her head in Max's lap, who started to play with her hair. "You wanna go to the movies on Friday and have a sleepover?" Kate looked up at Max, who nodded, but then Kate's smile fell. "What's wrong?"

Kate sighed. "I just have to sort some shit out back at home." Max furrowed her brows. "What shit?" Kate sighed again.   "Well, um, you might know it from Lucas, but I actually have a boyfriend and now, I have to find a way to break up with him."

"It's okay. Nobody's pressuring you into breaking up with him. You can do it, when you come back to Lenora. Just take your time and think about what you're gonna tell him and how you're   gonna tell him. I know, that you don't want to hurt him, but if you're sure, you want to break up, you should do it." 

Kate nodded. "Yeah, you're right." She kissed her nose "Thanks."