CHAPTER SEVEN: the sauna test.

Max and Kate were laying on the redhead's bed as El was brushing her teeth in the bathroom

Max and Kate were laying on the redhead's bed as El was brushing her teeth in the bathroom. El walked in and Max held up two comics. "Which one?" Kate sighed. "I don't know." El said as Kate sighed. "Hey, there's nothing to worry about anymore, okay?" Max put her hand on Kate's thigh. "I just have a bad feeling about all of this." Max rubbed her thigh. 

"It doesn't make sense." El said. "What doesn't make sense?" Max furrowed her brows. "Heather. The blood. The ice." Max sighed. "Heather had a fever, so she took a cold bath, but she's better now. That has to be it. I don't know where that blood came from, but... we saw her. We all saw her. She's totally fine."

"What about Billy?" Kate looked up. "What about him?" Max turned to her. "He seemed wrong." El agreed. "Wrong is kind of like his default. But it's nice to know he's not a murderer, because that would've totally sucked." Kate smiled softly. "Who... is that?" El pointed at Wonder Woman.

"See, this is why you can't just hang out with Mike all the time. This is Wonder Woman. AKA Princess Diana. She's from Paradise Island, which is, like, this hidden island where there are only women Amazon warriors. While Max read that comic, Kate layed her head on her lap and eventually fell asleep.

The next morning, Kate was laying in Max's arms, until the redhead's walkie woke her up. "Do you copy? This is a code red. I repeat, this is a code red. Max. Do you copy? This is a code red." Kate picked the walkie up. "Shut the fuck up." And with that she turned it off. Max smiled at her and they cuddled again.

That was until Max's phone started ringing. "You've got to be shitting me." Kate said, but Max put her hand on her leg, as if to tell her to stay and went to the phone herself. "I'm sleeping. Go away." She said and wanted to hang up, but she put the phone to her ear again. "What did he say?" El asked after Max hung up. 

When they got to Mike's, he took them to his basement and Will started explaining something. "I didn't think it was anything at first. I mean, I think I just didn't want to believe it. The first time I felt it was at Day of the Dead."

"Power went out that night, too." Mike butted in. "And then I felt it again at the field near the Nelson farm the next day. Then again yesterday outside Castle Byers."

"What does it feel like?" Max asked him. "It's almost like... You know when you drop on a roller coaster?" Everyone said "Yes." except for Kate and El, who said "No." " It's like... everything inside your body is just sinking all at once, but... this is worse. Your body... it goes cold and... and you can't breathe. I've felt it before, whenever he was close."

"Whenever who was close?" Kate asked him. "The Mind Flayer." He looked up. "We closed the gate." El said and Kate nodded. "I know, but... what if he never left? What if we locked him out here with us? This is him. All of him. But, that day on the field, a part of him attached itself to me. My mom got it out of me...Kate and Eleven closed the gate. But the part that was still in me, what if it's still in our world? In Hawkins."

"I don't understand. The Demodogs died when Kate and El closed the gate. If the brain dies, the body dies." Mike turned to the redhead. "We can't take any chances. We need to assume the worst. The Mind Flayer's back."

"Yeah. And if he is, he'd want to attach himself to someone again. A new me. A new host." Kate thought about Billy and asked. "How can you tell if someone is a host?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't know. He looks pretty normal to me." Max said as she watched him through the binaculars. "Normal? How many times have you seen him with a shirt on?" Max shrugged. "I mean, it's a little weird." She admitted. "More than a little. He was in a tub with ice. The Mind Flayer likes it cold. Plus everything else..."

"But he's lounging at the pool, which is, like, the least Mind Flayer thing ever." Max denied. "Not necessarily. The Mind Flayer likes to hide. He only used me when he needed me. It's like... like you're dormant. And then, when he needs you, you're activated." Will explained. "Okay, so we just... wait until he gets activated."

"No. What if he hurts someone?" Kate shook her head. "Or kills someone. We can't take that chance. We need to find out if he's the host." Mike started to walk away. "Where are you going?" Max asked. "I have an idea. Boys only." He told them as Will and Lucas followed him. "Seriously?" Max scoffed. "Just trust me on this one."

El walked away and Kate sat on some car as Max still watched Billy. "God, I hope it's not you. I really hope it's not you." She said. "It's gonna be okay, Max. Even if it's him, we'll save him." Kate grabbed the redhead's hand and Max smiled softly.

After a while the group got back together and made a plan. So now, they were all hiding, to start their plan. "Pool's closed. Hey. Do you hear me? Pool is closed!" Billy shouted as Mike kept making noises. "Billy!" "Who's there?" "Billy!" "Who's there?" "Billy! Billy!"

"You think this is funny, huh?" "Billy. Come and find me." "I find you, it is your funeral." "Come and get me. Come on!" "Billy!" "Got you." "Come and get me, you piece of shit." Billy got to the sauna. Their plan is working. "Hey. Behind you." Billy turned and saw Kate and El. Nine and Eleven. "Hi." Kate said as El slammed him into a wall and Kate slammed the door closed. 

"Now!" They put a chain at the door and Billy was more than angry. "Max." He looked at her and Max grabbed Kate's hand, interlocking their fingers. "Do it." She said and Will turned it on. "Max! Let me out of here! Let me out. You kids... You think this is funny? You kids think this is some kind of sick prank, huh? You little shits think this is funny? What is this? Open the door. Open the door! Open the door! Open the goddamn door!"

"We're at 220." Will announced. "It's not my fault. It's not my fault. It's not my fault, Max. I promise you, it's not my fault." He started, crying? "What's not your fault, Billy?" She asked him. "I've done things, Max. Really... bad things. I didn't mean to. He made me do it."

"Who made you do it?" Max walked to the door. "I don't know, it's like a shadow. Like a giant shadow. Please, Max." He kept crying. "What did he make you do?" A tear fell out of her eye. "It's not my fault, okay? Max, please. Please, believe me, Max, it's not my fault. I tried to stop him, okay? I did. Please believe me, Max. Please believe me."

"Billy, it's gonna be okay." She told him. "Max, please." He cried. "It's gonna be okay. We want to help you. We want to help you. You just have to talk to us, okay? You have to talk to us. I believe you, Billy. We'll figure it out together, okay?"

"I feel him. He's activated." Will said and Kate started to walk to Max. "Max, get away from the door." She said. "What?" She turned around. "Get away from the door!" Kate yelled and pulled her down. "Let me out, you bitch! Let me out! I'll fucking gut you! Let me out!" Kate helped Max back up and they ran back to the group. "He can't get out, can he?"

"No way. No way." And as if on cue, he got out. El took a dumpbell and attacked him. She pinned him againts wall, but Billy was too strong. He fought back and threw the dumpbell away. He grabbed El's hair and started chocking her. Realization hit Kate as she snuck behind Billy. She lifted him up in the air as she grunted. "Not my sister, asshole." She threw him into a wall. He broke the wall and ran away as the group helped El.