CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Vecna and Freddy aren't the same.

Kate sat in between of Max and Lucas in the car

Kate sat in between of Max and Lucas in the car. She kept thinking about what Max said earlier. About some letters. She never recieved any. Why? Was she making it up? "This better be fast, Mayfield." Steve said as he pulled up at a trailer park. "Twenty seconds."

Kate placed her headphones on her head and tuned out their conversation, until Max came back. "Hey, that was longer than 20 seconds. Hey, whoa, whoa. You all right?" Steve asked her. "I'm fine. Just drive." Kate knew that the question are you okay?  is useless. "Did something happen?" He kept asking. "Can we please just go?"

Kate's pinky touched something. She looked there and saw Max's pinky. Max was slowly moving her pinky to touch the brunette's hand. Kate noticed this and let it happen. She knew she should just risk it, so she put her hand on Max's. She saw Max's cheeks turn red as a small smile took place on the redhead's face. 

After some time, the girls' fingers started to interlock and they both let it happen. Kate thought she was over Max, but now, when she's next to her, she can't help it. "Turn here." Max broke the silence. "Here?" The girl nodded.

The car stopped and Max exited. Kate did too. "Max?" The redhead turned to face her, surprised, that she was talking to her. "Wait in the car, please." She looked down, but Kate walked up to her. "No. Let me talk, please." Max nodded.

"I don't want this letter, if there's something you want to tell me, tell me now. I don't want to read it, when you're dead. I mean, you're not gonna die, I'm not gonna let you, but those letters are for after, am I right?" Max nodded a little. "So, tell me now. Tell me, what you wrote in the letters, I never received."

"I'll tell you after I'm done, okay? Just wait in the car, please." Kate was dissapointed. "Yeah, sure. Fine." She scoffed and saw a glimpse of regret in Max's eyes as she walked away. She turned around and sighed. "Just scream my name, if anything happens. I'll hear you, no matter where you are."

"All right, it's been long enough." Steve got up after what felt like hours of waiting. "Steve, just give her some time." Lucas tried to stop him. "I have, all right? I'm calling it. She wants to get a lawyer, she can." He ran up the hill and Kate paced. 

"Max, wake up! Max! Wake up!" Kate heard Steve shout and immediatelly ran to them. "Guys! Come on, wake up! Max, you gotta get outta there! Can you hear me?" Steve shouted as she got there. When Kate glanced at Max, she saw her eyes rolled in the back of her head. 

"Max! Come on, where are you?" Kate shouted at her. "You gotta get outta there! Call Nancy and Robin! Go get 'em! Call Nancy and Robin! Go! Please, Max!" Dustin ran back to the car. "Kate! Kate! Lucas! Dustin! Kate, please help! Kate!"

Kate heard a familiar voice. She sat down and looked for Max, while Dustin kept shouting something about music. Kate opened her eyes and saw someone towering over Max and raising his hand or claw, or whatever that was over her face. 

Kate acted quickly and threw him away from Max. The brunette ran to her and hugged her. "You're here. Wait, are you real?" Max touched Kate's face. "Yes, I'm real." Kate heard a song playing and looked behind her, just to see some kind of portal. "That's not important, you gotta get out of here. Run." She pointed at the portal. "No, what about you?" 

"I can get out of here, just as easily as I got here, now run." Max nodded and ran to the portal. Kate was about to get out of there, but the man threw her into some wall. "Nine" His voice sent chills down her spine. "No." She looked at him and retraced. 

When she opened her eyes, she saw Max falling from the sky. She quickly caught her and wrapped her arms around the girl. "Max! Oh my God. It's okay. It's okay." Max looked at the girl. "You saved me." Kate smiled and leaned in. The kiss was short, but very much needed. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the morning, after everything happened, Kate woke up, to someone speaking through the walkie. "Hey, Dustin, this is Eddie the Banished. You there? Dustin, can you hear me? Dustin? Earth to Dustin."

"Hey, it's Nancy." She replied and Kate groaned. "Wheeler! Hey. Um, I'm gonna need a food delivery, like, really soon, unless you want me going out into the world." She shook her head. "No. No, no, no. Don't do that. Stay where you are, and we'll be there as soon as we can."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Listen, um... can you pick me up a six-pack? I know, it's stupid as shit, drinking right now, but a cold beer would really calm my jangled nerves." Kate noticed her arms weren't holding anyone, anymore and she shot up. She walked up to Dustin and Nancy noticed what's happening. 

"Hey, I'm gonna have to call you back." She turned the walkie off and Kate shook Dustin awake. "Dustin! Wake up." He hummed. "Aren't you supposed to be on Max watch?" He nodded. "Yep. Yep, yep, yep. Sorry."

"Then where is she?" Kate asked, impatiently. "She's right there. A second ago. I swear, I just dozed off for... an hour." Kate ran up the stairs with Dustin and Nancy following her. She stepped in the kitchen and let out a sigh of relief, when she saw Max. 

"Morning, guys. Everything okay?" Mrs. Wheeler asked them. "Yeah. Yeah, everything's okay." Nancy nodded. "I think it's so sweet that you guys are sticking together like this." Kate smiled at them and walked up to Max. 

"Hi." Max took off her headphones. "Hi." She smiled. Soon, Nancy joined them. "Hey." She smiled at the redhead. "Hey." Max nodded. "You okay?" Max placed a crayon on the table. "Just couldn't sleep. People kept blasting music in my ears, for some reason. But Holly let me borrow some of her crayons. We've been having fun, right, Holly?"

"Mm-hmm." Holly hummed. "Is this what you saw last night?" Nancy picked up two papers. "I mean, it's supposed to be. I thought it'd be easier to draw it out than to explain it, but... Not so much." Kate recognized the drawing. 

"Is that...?" Nancy pointed at the two figures. "It was like they were on display. And then there was this red fog everywhere. It was like a dream. A nightmare." She explained. "You think Vecna's just trying to scare you?"

"With Billy? Yeah. But when I made it here... I dunno, something was different. He seemed surprised, almost. Like he didn't want me there." She shrugged and Kate kept thinking, how could her recognize her. How could her recognize her as 009. "Maybe you infiltrated his mind. He invaded your mind, right? Is it that big a leap to suggest you somehow wound up in his? Like Freddie Krueger's boiler room."

Kate loved the movie. "Freddie Krueger?" Holly asked him. "He's a super burned-up dude with razors for fingers. And he kills you in your dreams." The girls looked at him in disbelief. "Seriously?" Nancy scoffed. "Sorry. It's a movie. It's not real. Just... think about it. What if you somehow unlocked a backdoor to Vecna's world? Like, maybe the answer we're looking for is somewhere in this incredibly vague drawing. God, we need Will."

"So, if you think this is like The Nightmare at Elm Street, then we would have to solve it the same way. But I don't think bringing Vecna into the real world will help us. Because, I think there's something more to the story. Something we don't know. He called me Nine. And it looked like he had the same powers like me and El, so I don't think we can talk about it like if it was Freddie Kruger." 

"Is this a window?" Nancy suddenly asked. "Yeah." Max nodded. "Stained glass with roses." Nancy realized. "Yeah. See? I'm not so terrible after all." Max turned to Dustin. "Yeah, well, it helps that I've seen it before." 

"It's pieces of a house." Kate realized. "Not just any house. It's Victor Creel's house." Nancy got up and started to walk away. "Where you going?" Dustin called out. "Waking the others." Kate got up and went to help her with that.