Chapter Nineteen

"Break a leg. That's what I'm supposed to say, right?"

I smiled. "That works."

Luke stared blankly at me for a second before smiling back. "I'll see you after. I'll come find you. Break that leg! Break both legs!"

He ran off down the corridor, with his usual ungainly lope. I think it was because his toes pointed inwards. It was kinda cute.

I wandered to the backstage area and started getting ready. Miss Dyer had only agreed to change my solo once I had performed it for her. She was a little unsure because of the connotations of the song, but she agreed because, in her words, I was 'brilliant.'

I had deliberately ignored Bryce all week, under Ali's instruction. She'd also said to do things like pretend some guy (any guy) was really funny and try and look like I was having a great time, all the time, or at least when Bryce was around. I couldn't really keep it up, but I tried.

Andrew and Luke must've thought they had either become the funniest guys around, or that I'd gone slightly mad.

I could hear the noise of the audience just beyond the curtain. Mom and dad and Ali had all come to see me, and everyone in school would be there too. Attendance was compulsory.

The first few acts whizzed by, and then I went out with the Glee club and all our songs went down well. A girl called Lisa hit a wrong note in the middle of her solo, which confused all of us, but I doubt that many people in the audience even noticed.

Once we had taken our bow I ran from the stage, knowing I only had about ten minutes to change into the dress and fix my hair and makeup.

"Are you nervous?"

I jumped.

"Andrew." I scowled at him. "You scared me."

"Sorry! You look nervous. It'll be fine, I promise." He backed off, looking more nervous than I did. He was already wearing his tux, and he looked super smart, if a little awkward. He had smoothed his ginger hair down into a side parting, and he had thick stage make-up on that covered his freckles, and made his skin look matt and shine-free.

I flashed him a smile before I grabbed my dress from the costume rail, making sure it didn't drag on the floor, and ran to get changed.

Ali had specified that a lot of the success in the performance of the song was the acting that went along with it. I had to become the character. She had given me a strapless push-up bra and some bright red lipstick.

I took my hair down and brushed it out, letting it spread over my shoulders. I was lucky, my hair was thick and shiny with a natural wave, so I didn't have to do that much to it; I didn't have time anyway.

I stripped down to my knickers and put on the bra, adjusting it until it was comfortable before pulling on the dress. Then I applied some face make-up and blusher, and made my eyes look 'smoky' with some black eyeliner and mascara. Finally I did the lipstick, blotting it on some toilet paper before re-applying and smacking my lips.

Overall, the effect was pleasing for about eight minutes' worth of preparation.

"Are you nearly ready?"

Andrew was outside the door, hissing at me. I could hear the act before us, an a cappella barbershop quartet, just finishing up. They got a huge round of applause, which made my heart sink. What if they didn't like us as much?

Miss Dyer announced our act, and we walked onto the stage to the sound of polite, restrained, applause. The lights were bright, and at first I couldn't see the audience at all. I blinked, and let my eyes grow accustomed to them. I could make out Ali and Mom and Dad all sitting in the front row. Dad and Ali were smiling, but Mom looked nervous. Her hands were tightly clasped in her lap.