Chapter Two

By the time we arrived at school I was in a foul mood. And the drive wasn't even that long, like ten minutes, max.

When Bryce drew the car up outside the school he parked pretty far away, at the back of the car park near the gates.

"Oh come on Bryce, I don't want to walk that far in this," I said, gesturing to indicate my pumpkin suit.

"You wore it," he growled, opening my door and taking my hands in his so he could heave me out.

I was still pissed at him for spoiling what was going to be a decent evening. I had been looking forward to it and he'd ruined it.

"What's wrong with you?" he asked, when I had got to my feet properly.

"You know what's wrong."

Our breath smoked out in pools in the cold air.

"It's not like you own me, Mel. I can date whoever I want to." He reached back into the front seat of the car to grab the scream mask out and then pushed the door shut so it slammed much harder than it needed to.

"It's not about that," I said. "I know you can date whoever you want."

"Well what is it then?" he asked, bleeping the car locked. The little lights flashed once or twice in the darkness. "Is it because you want to date me?"

He smirked. He was actually smirking at me.

That was it; I'd had enough. I turned and stomped off towards the gym, the pumpkin bumping up and down around my hips. I could hear the music blaring out from the party, and right now that appealed a hell of a lot more than listening to Bryce throwing any more insults.

Bryce's footsteps behind me were speeding up, but i didn't slow down for him.

Suddenly he had his arm on mine and pulled me round.

"Look, I'm sorry I said that. I just don't get what your problem is."

He was exasperating.

"Don't you get that everyone at school will see this as you saying you don't care about what she did to me?"

I continued walking across the car park, the sky overhead totally clear and crisp. You could see every star twinkling and it was freezing.

"Mel, they don't care what she did to you. It was six months ago. No one even remembers it. You're not that important."

I stopped walking and turned round.

"What?"

His jaw was tense. I could tell he was angry, but so was I.

"You heard me."

"You know what, Bryce? I don't care what you do. If you want to date Taylor Whitrow, then go ahead."

I hurried off and this time he didn't try to catch me up. My heart was beating so fast I wasn't sure what to do with myself. Bryce and I never fought. Normally, we agreed on everything, including our opinion of our classmates. I hadn't even known he thought Taylor was attractive.

*

The worst thing about deserting Bryce in the car park was that I had to enter the party completely alone, and dressed like a pumpkin.

But luckily Anna and Luke were standing outside, each holding a plastic cup.

"Hey Mel, awesome costume," said Anna, laughing as she tried to hug me but couldn't find a decent place to reach her arms around.

"Thanks." I nodded.

Luke sipped on his drink and asked: "where's Bryce?"

I tried not to look too annoyed when I told him Bryce was on his way in. Luke moved off into the car park in search of him.