The healer - Part 6 - Geralt x Reader

"My compliments to the chef..........." Jaskier sighed happily, as he rubbed his very full belly. The bard sure that it would be some time before he had another meal that good.

"Thank you, Jaskier. It is always nice to have some who one appreciates my food." The healer smiled in reply, as she pushed her almost still full plate away from her, before getting up from the table.

The evening had been spent in more or less complete silence. It obvious that Geralt and (Y/n) both knew what the next morning would bring. It obvious that neither of them wanted to think about it, never mind talk about it. Jaskier wishing he could do or say something that could make everything better. That he had stayed sick for a little longer, so that they didn't have to leave the warmth of the healer and her home, so soon. But what could he do........? What could he say.........? He knew that his friend was truly in no hurry to leave, unlike he was most other places; but Jaskier also knew that Geralt could not stop being what he was. Yet he had to say that while they had waited in the stables, he had seen something else in the Witcher that he had not seen before, a kind of...........peace. An ease with just doing the mundane things that normal people would do. Roach appearing to be just as happy as her owner was, with their surroundings; with the warm stables, and the supply of hay and oats. The mare and the Witcher seeming as though they would both be more than happy if the world were to forget about them. If they in turn, could forget about the world.

"Would you like some help..............?" The bard continued, trying to sound as cheery as he could, while (Y/n) cleared the table. Taking the equally still full plate from in front of Geralt. The Witcher not even having bothered to pick up his fork.

"No. Its fine, thank you, Jaskier............" The healer replied, as she did her best to stay smiling, despite the fact that the bard knew her heart was breaking.

"Well then.................." The minstrel added, as he slowly got to his feet.

"I.........I'll just go and say goodnight to Roach. I've missed the old girl.............." Jaskier chuckled. Pushing his chair back under the wooden table, before making for the door. The bard hoping that the mare wouldn't mind sharing her blanket with him for the night.

                                                      >>------------------------------------<<

Geralt looked up as he heard the door to the small cottage, close, to see that Jaskier had gone. He had to confess that he hadn't heard anything if the bard had been talking; his mind to focused on how he would tell (Y/n) that he and the bard would be leaving the next morning. How he would convince his own heart that he really wanted to go.

It was always the same when he came to see the healer; in her little home, it was as if the rest of the world didn't exist. As if it were only the two of them; Geralt sure that with each meeting, he came to love her more. And with each meeting, it became harder to leave her. But this time.........this time felt like it was going to be impossible.

"(Y/n)............." The big man said softly. His voice barely above a whisper.

"It's alright Geralt, I know. Jaskier is well, and you need to be on your way. The world and its monsters call to the Witcher, and you must obey." (Y/n) interpreted, as she busied herself with cleaning the plates in the stone sink.

"It sounds awful, but I wish that Jaskier had been sicker for a little longer, then I would not have to say goodbye to you so soon." She added. It obvious from the tremble in her voice, that she was fighting to stop herself from crying. Geralt slowly getting up from his chair and making his way over to her. The pale haired man, placing his arms around her waist before pulling her back to his chest; his head resting gently on her shoulder.

"I don't want to go.............."

"I know; and you must know that I don't want you to go, either. I fear for you, Geralt. I fear that the next time you walk out of that door, it will be the last time that I ever see you. I fear that the one man that I love, will never come back to me. That if the worst happens, you will be left all alone, with no one to care for you; no one to do what is right. I wish you were not what you are. But what you are, is one of the reasons that I love you. Each time you leave me, it gets harder to say goodbye. Each time you leave me, you take another little piece of my heart with you. And this time..........this time you will take the last of it; for now, it truly can belong to no one but you. You are the north, the south, the east and west. You are the rising and setting of the sun; the waxing and waning of the moon, and the sparkle from the stars in the night sky. You are my life, my love; and I will miss you more than I can say..........." (Y/n) explained, as Geralt slowly turned her around; brushing the tears from her cheeks, as she looked up at him.

"I want to stay with you, tonight. I want to love you. I want to prove to you, that despite your fears, I will always come back to you, (Y/n)." Geralt told her. A smile making its way to his lips as she slowly nodded. The Witcher needing no more encouragement, as he took her up into his arms, and carried her towards the bedroom.