Chapter 14

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain. And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy; And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.

And you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief. Much of your pain is self-chosen. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.

Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility: For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen,

And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears."

-Khalil Gibran

_______

Donnie lifted up his goggles and looked up towards the sky. Something wasn't sitting right with him. He had to know how to get to where those people were, maybe even snatch a couple glances at their prison. "Damn..." A voice behind him said. Donnie turned his head and saw Usagi, leaning against the hilt of his sword. 

"Psh, when'd you get back?" Donnie asked, a small smile creeping onto his face. "Ehh, bout three minutes ago. Helia and I just separated, cause she wanted to look for you guys."

Donnie's eyes lit up. "Helia? Oh my gosh, was Galileo with her?!" He rarely ever got to see his son these days, seeing how it was so dangerous in New York. Almost a year ago he sent him to go stay with Helia in Philly, a retired spy and Navy S.E.A.L., where she moved from place to place. 

"Oh...Uh..." Usagi stood up and stumbled a little bit, walking closer to him. "Right..."

"Right what?" The cold wind blew a bit harder and Donnie smacked his teeth, throwing his sleeve up to cover his face.

Usagi's now snow white fur seemed to stand up in intensity. He looked up and his eyes widened. "Donnie! They're here!"

The turtle whipped around and shook his head, running and pulling the rabbit with him. "Dammit dammit, it was supposed to snow! Where is that damned snow-?!"

The wind picked up around them and a blood curling scream rang through the world and echoed. Followed by many others that would do the same. Their feet quickened against the uneven dirt and scattered pavement on the ground,  Usagi's hands still on his sword. 

Donnie huffed and lifted his arm to speak into his watch. "Leo, the snow did not make it in time! Until it comes, we'll have to seek shelter or fight them off of Brooklyn Heights."

"What? Well why the hell not, we got em right where we want em!"

"Yeah, I know, that's the problem! We can't sit here and we can't fall back too far or we lose all progress. I need you and Ace to start taking out some of the Kraang dogs. Copy?"

"Donnie, I swear...If this is another one of your hypothetical problem solving missions-"

"Just trust me! Without anything to brainwash, they're practically harmless! Kind of." Usagi chuckled in the background.

"Heyyyy pretty rabbit! I know that silly laugh."

Donnie groaned. "Nardo, can we focus?! I'm sending S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N. your way, got it??"

"*Sigh* Right right, gotcha."

_____

"You can count on us." Leo switched his watch off and turned to look down at the little boy next to him. "Ready kid?"

Casey nodded, his mask pulled down over his face. "Yes!" He picked up his bat and started to walk when Leo stepped on his cape. "Hey, where do you think you're going with that tattered old thing?"

Casey looked confused and pointed in the direction he was facing. "That way?" Leo smirked and grabbed the bat, throwing it to the side. "Nah. You're taking this." He slipped Casey Sr's chainsaw out from underneath his belt and grabbed it by the handle, extending it out to him. "All yours, kid."

The boy lifted up his mask for a second, gasping. He took the chainsaw and booked it with a smile on his face. Leo watched with pride and took a deep breath. "Okay...Let's see if I can get this bad boy to work." He mumbled, flexing his prosthetic arm.

Soon a drone came into view, S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N. flying through the air and landing on Casey's back. "Casey! I love the new weapon!"

"Thanks! Just got it twenty seconds ago!" Casey was coming up on a wall that was low to the ground. He flipped his mask down and got down on his knees, sliding underneath it until he could stand up again. "So, where's Daniel? Is he recovering?"

"Somewhat!" The drone got off his back and started flying right next to him. "Vienna's got him locked up in the nursing room, cause he won't stop tryna get outta bed! Dude's impatient!"

"I told him!" Casey Jr looked ahead and spotted a group of Kraang monsters a few hundred feet away. "What are they doing on the frontlines??"

"We should hide before they see us! We can't fight them!" 

The boy scoffed and kept going, revving up his chainsaw. "Maybe you can't, but I can!" 

"Neither of you can." 

A deep yet feminine voice stopped the two in their tracks. A tall woman with faded pink hair and a sharp nose came towering over them. She aimed a rocket launcher towards the Kraang's direction, setting the monsters on fire as they screamed out of shock and agony. The heat of the flames were felt on Casey's face. His eyes widened and he looked up at her. "Um...I could've done that, too."

Helia looked down at him and smiled. "Funny." She had a sleeveless shirt on, and her muscles were intimidating. "Last time I saw you, you needed help tying your shoe." She turned around and pointed to her back, a small turtle child hanging onto it. "This here's Galileo. Your cousin, I suppose." Galileo opened his eyes and let out a silent yawn.

"Was he sleeping?!" S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N. exclaimed. 

"Sure was. Odd fellow."

______

Leo finished practically gutting a Kraang dog when he saw Usagi coming up to him. He smiled, forgetting all about the dead corpse at his feet, and ran to him. "You made it back!"

The rabbit laughed and hugged him tightly, kissing his cheek. "Always! Gen says he misses you."  

"Nahhh, he's only saying that because he doesn't know what else to tell me." Leo pulled away and examined Usagi's face. "Wow, your fur has gotten WHITE white!"

The rabbit rolled his eyes and was about to protest when he saw a streak of purple going up into the sky. "Leo...Is that...Donnie?"

Leo looked confused and turned his head up to the clouds. That's when he saw it. "Donnie...Donnie, no..." 

He cursed under his breath and spoke into his watch. "Donnie, fucking-dammit! Don't you dare advance without us!!"

April, back at the enterprise building, felt a shock go through her. "No..." She flipped her speaker open and spat. "Donnie, don't do it! You promised!" 

____

Donnie ignored them and narrowed his eyes, the rockets on the bottom of his boots propelling him forward. 

"No more waiting..." 

He began losing speed and shut off his rockets, climbing on building debris and pieces of metal floating through the air. He reached the outside of the spawn and latched on, stabbing his staff into it. He gasped when he saw a large, gooey tentacle reach out and wrap around his throat. 

As he was dragged into the sphere, he closed his eyes and held his breath. Donnie had been taken.

_______

"Donnie? Donnie!!"

April screamed, into her speaker. Though at this point, she realized no answer was going to come. "Dammit!" She threw her bat against the wall, breaking a mirror. Only Galileo didn't flinch at the sound. Everyone was gathered in the living room, or at least what used to be one, looking solemn. Mikey was terrified, pacing back and forth. 
Usagi sat on the floor with Casey, Vienna and Jane. Daniel was still bedridden, and his brother Jonah went missing a few weeks ago. Helia just stood in place. It was comfortable for her, even with Galileo clinging to her leg.

Leo leaned up against the wall, his eyes closed. He heard the breathing of everyone else in the room, the small clanking sound of glass sweeping across the floor. It didn't help that he also picked up the sound of many soldiers' footsteps outside the building. 

Deep down in his heart, he knew Donnie was still alive. But for how much longer, he couldn't say.