Chapter 8

Word of the day: Guide

Direct or have an influence on the course of action of (someone or something).

Also, here's a Spotify playlist to go along with the story: https://spotify.link/xJ0oabMa1yb

~

Usagi was walking slowly with a daisy in his hand, staring at it. He took one step after the other, wishing he could go back to the days when he could feel pure grass underneath his feet. He hummed to himself, keeping his gaze fixated on the tile floor beneath him. Though this shelter was very low budget and run-down, it was much nicer than the outside world. A group of people waved to him, and he waved back. A couple of them were missing fingers, or even their whole hands. It reminded him of Leo's new look, and he giggled to himself. He thought his husband was so strong and brave, even though he wished Leo would know that it was okay not to be. Usagi sighed and looked up at the ceiling. There were only small bulbs being lit since large ceiling lights would draw too much attention.

He sighed and stared outside of the cracks of a boarded window, looking at the slowly rising sun. How he ached to run outside with open arms and catch the breeze in his face, his feet dancing along the ridges and curves of the ground. "Sumeba miyako..." He mumbled to himself, just as his friend Chizu had once said to him. "Wherever you live, you come to love it."
He groaned and shook his head, walking away from the window. "I guess I will... Eventually."

Usagi smoothed out his robe as he continued walking, extending his hand out in front of him. His fur was changing slightly, parts of it fading into a purer white shade. Winter was coming. He knew this for sure. He smiled. "Maybe it will still snow?" 

He heard a certain pair of footsteps behind him, and he turned around, reaching out his hand. "About time, I was waiting for you."

Casey smiled and took his paw, latching onto the rabbit's arm. "I slept in for the first time and dreamed about that flower again! Second time in a row!"
Usagi smiled and handed the flower to him. " I know, you had told me the night before. Does this one fit your description, little one?"
Casey gasped loudly and took it from him gently, staring at it. "You're telling me these are real...?!"

Yuichi hummed in amusement and nodded. "Yes, little one, they're called daisies. Can you say that word?" The boy thought for a moment before speaking. "Dai-sies." Usagi gasped dramatically and clapped his hands, applauding him. "Wow, you're a good listener! Leonardo-san could take some lessons from you, little one!"

Casey giggled and kept walking with him. "Where are we going?"

"Ms. Clementine says that you could make a friend or two. How does that sound?" Usagi asked, going around the corner. Casey shrugged. "I don't know. Are they dogs or birds or something?" 
"Not animal friends, real people." 

He pointed to a group of little kids sitting in a corner, chatting away. Casey Jr. gasped and took a step back. "I can't go over there!" The rabbit raised an eyebrow and knelt down to him. "Well, why not?" Casey shook his head. "They don't know me! And I don't know them!"
"Well, that is why we make friends, isn't it?"

The boy frowned and looked at them hesitantly. They were in a circle on a colorful carpet, while the adults around them whispered quietly. It was an uncomfortable situation in his mind, but at least the environment felt okay. Usagi smiled and nudged him with his head. "Go on, it might be fun."

Casey held back a groan and walked over to them slowly. They all fell silent and stared at him as he sat down in between the children. He kept his head up and brushed hair out of his eyes. One girl immediately reached her hand out to him. "Hi, I'm Vienna." She was a year or two older than him. Her hair was a dark crimson, and she had tanned olive skin. Casey smiled softly and smacked his hand against hers before bumping his fist on it.

Vienna was stunned for a moment before laughing. "Oh right, New York."
She pointed to herself. "I'm from Washington, the state."
She pointed to the other kids. "Introduce yourselves!"

The first boy next to her raised his hand. "I'm Jonah, and my parents are from Laos. But I was born here." He gestured to the next person. "And this is my cousin, Daniel." They both had dark hair and brown eyes. The younger boy waved hello but didn't say anything. "Yeah, he doesn't talk anymore. The scar is healed, but he got sliced in the throat a few years ago."

Casey gasped and felt his own, thankful that he could still speak. The next girl had a bandage over both of her eyes. "I'm Jane. My mother is from the DR Congo, and my dad was born in the Bronx." She had unruly blonde hair that must not have been combed in weeks. Casey felt confused. Why would she have her hair like that if there were combs and brushes all around? "Can I brush your hair?"

Jane giggled and shrugged. "I'm not sure, I've tried a couple of times, and it didn't work." Casey didn't respond and stood up, walking over to Usagi. He tapped the rabbit's shoulder. "Usagi-sama, I need your comb."
He didn't ask any questions and pulled a small comb out of his pocket. "Bring it back, little one."
The boy smiled and ran back to Jane, sitting behind her. The other kids watched with curiosity. "I didn't know people still had those...!" Jonah said.

"Yeah, he keeps them around all the time!" Casey said, pointing to Usagi. He took a handful of Jane's hair and ran through the comb through the edges.

_______

"Just like that, Casey. From the edges all the way back to the roots." Mikey instructed him softly, holding up the mirror for Casey Jr to hold. He was busy brushing through his own hair right now, Mikey having pointed out how tangled it started to get. Soon, he was finished, stroking the top of his head to get certain hairs to lie down. "Now, shake it!"

Casey looked up at him in confusion. "Shake it...?" Mikey nodded and let down his own hair. "You poor rookie, let me show you how it's done." Michelangelo flipped his hair dramatically, smiling. "Now, your turn."
Casey shook his head playfully before flipping his hair as well. Mikey gasped, and he clapped excitedly. "Very nice!"

_______

Usagi smiled as he watched Casey do the girl's hair. His kindness was unmatched. He was paying so much attention to the child that he didn't realize Leonardo was standing right next to him. The turtle smirked and nudged his shoulder. "Hi."
Usagi turned to him and waved before turning back. Then he gasped and took a second glance at him. "Oh, hello Leonardo!"

"And hello, Yuichi!" Leo chuckled and hugged him tightly. "I'm sorry about this morning. I want to be more honest with you, but talking about my feelings will never not be uncomfortable."
The rabbit smiled and nodded slowly. "I understand."
He lifted up his paw and showed it to Leo. "Winter is soon, Kame. Do you hope it'll snow?"

Leo smiled back and nodded, examining how white his paw had gotten. "Yeah, I do hope so." He playfully placed a few kisses on it, staring up at him. "And there is something I need to tell you, Usagi. It's about Cassandra. And Casey."

Usagi raised an eyebrow before nodding. "I'm listening."