16 | in italy

third person's point of view.

━━ αθάνατοι ━━

SILENCE lingered in the air as she entered the room. A vacant armchair had been awaiting her. The room had fallen silent moments ago when both the men had noticed her presence at the far end of the hall. She had that effect on men and women alike. Her presence usually petrified them. Today, she was already in a foul mood, interested more in the words of the human standing before her than his presence. She didn't spare him another glance as he sat before her, eyeing her every move.

So fidgety, she thought as his fingers twitched. He was trying to keep his calm, but it was rare for humans to digest her appearance at once. They squirmed. And he was no exception.

"Tell me," she finally said when the men stopped gulping and playing with their fingers in anticipation, "Tell me you haven't wasted my time. I don't like travelling for leisure, so your news better not be a pathetic excuse to whine."

The human contemplated. He wasn't used to this unsettled feeling, primarily when caused by a woman who looked nothing older than twenty years. It infuriated and frightened him at the same time. He knew now what his partner felt, what he had warned him against. Until today, he had only heard her voice, but seeing her in person was nothing compared to his imagination.

While he prayed that he would leave the room alive today, an unalike feeling brewed within him. He felt assured, knowing now that he was undoubtedly on the winning side of this war. Mischievously, he smiled.

"She is...as you predicted," his partner began, adjusting in his seat, "She is of Nyx's blood. I shot the arrow myself; she bleeds a dark kind of blood," he confirmed to her with a slight smile. How he could stare at her and still smile was beyond the man's understanding.

"It's much more than a dark kind of blood, Reus," she replied with a hearty laugh, the ghastly scar on her face reddening with every movement in her muscle. The human averted his eyes, a shiver passing within him. He had met some of their kind, but she was the most horrifying creature he had ever seen. A stunning, innocent beauty on one side of the face with the lightest green eyes; her other half was mangled with a scar cutting across her blood-red eye in such an appalling manner, it made him sit on the edge of his chair.

"W-will she be enough for your Master?" he asked her, carefully diverting his eyes back to her face.

"Enough!?" she shrieked, clutching the mahogany table and causing a dent in its perfection. The human shrunk back, a shell of a weak man with no power in her world. He knew now he was nothing but a pawn in their game, but at least he was a winning pawn. "She is what we need. She is what will win us the war; she is not enough; she is the only thing that separates us from them, a live weapon in their hands."

"She has left the house, and so have the others. He's with her, but as soon as they are out of sight of others, we will –"

"I don't care about your plan, Reus!" The woman snapped and silenced the room at once. "I did not travel this far to hear about a plot that is not our problem. You are to bring her to the Master, or if you can't manage that, bring her to me, at the least. I cannot bother myself with how and when you do it, but for your sake, I hope you do it before her powers awaken."

"Understood." Reus understood the orders, but something within him shifted when he watched the girl bleed a few yards away.

He knew he was least bothered about Kia, the woman who had accompanied him like bait, or Art, the other of his kind, the human's son. His concern did not include them at all. The orders had come from his and the woman's Master, and both knew all too well the consequences of disobeying his word.