Chapter 17

Meerab's sense of repulsion surged as Shahnawaz's words hung in the air. The insensitive comparison of women to materialistic possessions like wealth and fortune sent a wave of discomfort through her stomach. The panchayat's deeply orthodox rules were a familiar reality, yet nothing had quite prepared her for the shock of this moment. The urge to speak out clawed at her, but Murtasim's voice beat her to it.

"Baba Sahab, invoking that rule wasn't necessary. A public apology had been sufficient enough to crush Malik Zubair's arrogance and narcissism," Murtasim pressed, attempting to justify his stance to his father. However, Shahnawaz remained unmoved.

"It's just stupid. He had the audacity to break in our house and abduct Meerab and yet this is what you settled on? A few token compensations and an apology?" Shahnawaz's tone escalated, his frustration evident.

"I genuinely believe it was a judicious and sensible course of action," Murtasim murmured.

"Murtasim, your naivety amazes me. I entrusted you to act as a man, yet you've managed to disappoint me as always," Shahnawaz lamented, his disbelief mingling with disappointment.

Meerab's gaze shifted to Maa Begum, longing for solidarity for Murtasim, but her silence echoed throughout the room. Could it be that no one else felt the discomfort she did? Her eyes met Murtasim's downcast expression, a sight that tugged at her heartstrings. He offered no defense, and in that moment, Meerab felt compelled to fill the void, refusing to tolerate any disrespect aimed at her husband, even if it came from his own father.

"With all due respect, Uncle Shahnawaz, I firmly believe Murtasim made the right decision!" Meerab's voice rang out with newfound confidence.

"Meerab, it would be best for you to refrain from involving yourself in such matters." Shahnawaz said

"But everyone present was genuinely impressed by Murtasim's stance. They all embraced it willingly. I heard their agreement myself," Meerab attempted to make Shahnawaz see Murtasim's competence, but her efforts seemed to backfire.

"WHAT? Murtasim, you took her along with you? Are you truly out of your senses?" Shahnawaz's anger surged.

"I couldn't leave her alone at home again. So, I brought her with me. She stayed in the car," Murtasim explained, yet Shahnawaz's anger continued to escalate.

Meerab intervened once more. "Please, don't scold Murtasim for that. It was my request for him to take me, and I genuinely believe his judgment in whole Malik Zubair's issue has been commendable," she appealed, determination in her stance. "Given the context and circumstances, the punishment inflicted out on him is appropriate. And Murtasim deserves all the credit for that," she concluded, her gaze holding onto Shahnawaz's bewildered yet annoyed expression.

"Meerab, you lack insight into how matters are handled here," Shahnawaz retorted, his patience running out.

"But I do comprehend that demanding a woman in exchange for my own abduction is beyond disgraceful," Meerab countered.

"Are you challenging the panchayat's established norms?" Shahnawaz's voice dripped with hints of anger.

"Yes, I am. It's distressing that even in the 21st century, certain men continue to believe that they possess the authority to dictate women's lives," Meerab declared emphatically, locking eyes with Murtasim, whose expression held a blend of shock and admiration.

"Meerab, beta, these discussions are not meant for us women. Let us depart from here," Maa Begum urged in a worry, yet Meerab had embraced her role as an advocate for women's rights, ready to teach some vital lessons to Uncle Shahnawaz.

"No, Maa Begum. This isn't solely a man's concern. They're deliberating the exchange of one woman due to another—this is an injustice! Women aren't chattel or herds to be traded between owners. They possess their own rights," Meerab proclaimed.