Chapter 13

Meerab woke up to the unsettling echoes of shouts and commotion from outside. Panic surged through her as she scanned the room, only to find Murtasim absent. Dread washed over her – had he left her? Pushing aside her worry, she rose from the bed, driven by the need to understand the source of the disturbance.

She cautiously peered down the hallway, her heart racing, and her eyes widened as she caught sight of armed individuals in the lounge. A rush of fear gripped her as their attention turned to her, and they barked orders, "There she is! Capture her!"

In that instant, Meerab's mind went blank. Panic surged as she tried to flee, attempting to lock herself in her room. However, the assailants were quicker, overpowering her. Her heart pounded wildly in her chest as she cried out desperately, "Murtasim! Murtasimmmm!" Her plea for help echoed in vain, unanswered by anyone.

Helplessly, she witnessed the guards being assaulted by the kidnappers, her heart shattering at the brutality unfolding before her eyes. Despite her tears and cries, the kidnappers forced her into a waiting car, spiriting her away to an unfamiliar destination.

Their journey took them through fields until they reached what appeared to be a warehouse. It looked like an abandoned rugged place that had been left untouched and forgotten for a long time. Meerab struggled to absorb her surroundings amidst the chaos. The kidnappers dragged her from the car and attempted to drag her inside, but she fought to break free. In the struggle, her dupatta slipped away, leaving her feeling vulnerable and trembling.

As they forcefully threw her inside the warehouse, her gaze was met with an unfamiliar man. "Oh, so you're Murtasim Khan's wife, aren't you?" he spoke, his voice dripping with a sinister tone. "What was your name again? Meerab, right?" he added, his lips curving into a evil smile.

Despite the fear gripping her heart, Meerab clung to her resolve. She refused to let fear weaken her. "Who are you? Why have you brought me here?" she demanded, her voice betraying the anxiety within her.

The stranger's reply held an unmistakable vileness. " It's a pity I wasn't invited to your wedding, or else you'd already know me. But we can become better acquainted now. I'm Malik Zubair, your husband's so-called dearest friend," he sneered, his words dripping with sarcasm.

Desperation surged within Meerab as she sought clarity. "Where is Murtasim? What do you want from me?" she pleaded, her voice tinged with urgency.

Malik Zubair's response was laced with smugness, as if he was relishing the control he held. " Murtasim's a bit, well, distracted. Since he left you all alone, I thought it best to bring you here and offer you some company" he quipped, his cocky tone grating on her nerves.

"Let me go!" she shouted, her resistance evident. As her eyes darted around, she realized she was surrounded by armed individuals. Any attempt to escape would be a risky gamble.

Malik Zubair's tone took a more ominous turn, revealing his true intentions. "Can't you see it, my dear? You're my most valuable asset now. With you by my side, I can manipulate Murtasim Khan and bend him to my will. So it's in your best interest to cooperate to just cooperate with me right now," he taunted, his proximity suffocating.

It became painfully clear that Malik Zubair aimed to exploit her as a pawn to advance his own sinister agenda, using her connection to Murtasim against her will. She saw him as a weak man, resorting to using women for revenge without a hint of shame. With her heart heavy and eyes brimming with tears, Meerab silently prayed for Murtasim's arrival. She held onto hope, yearning for his rescue in this dire and harrowing situation.

_______________________________

Murtasim's heart pounded relentlessly in his chest as he dashed into their shared room, calling out desperately for Meerab. His voice echoed through the silence, unanswered. Dread settled over him like a suffocating shroud. His worst fear had come to live—Malik Zubair, with his vile and pathetic being, had successfully kidnapped Meerab. The weight of guilt settled heavily upon him for leaving her alone, vulnerable to such a sinister plot. He should have anticipated Zubair's twisted game, should have protected her.

His chest tightened, every breath felt like a struggle. He paced the room, his mind a whirlwind of emotions. The guilt gnawed at him, clawing at his conscience. How could he have let this happen? How could he have failed her, the woman he was bound to protect?

Their recent argument replayed in his mind like a broken record, each word a sharp reminder of their strained relationship. He regretted every harsh word, every moment of frustration that had driven a wedge between them. Now, all he wanted was to find her, to hold her close and apologize for his thoughtlessness. He tried to consider the places where Malik Zubair might have taken her, his mind racing through the options. Anger simmered beneath his worry, directed not just at Zubair, but at himself. He should have seen through the manipulative tactics, should have protected her from the very beginning.

Murtasim's thoughts were abruptly interrupted by the shrill ring of his phone—a call from Malik Zubair. The tension in the air was palpable as Zubair's voice echoed through the receiver. "Murtasimm... Guess who I have here with me?" he taunted.

Murtasim's voice was laced with anger as he retorted, his tone firm and unwavering. "I swear, if you even try to touch her or harm her in any way, I will kill you without a second thought."

Zubair's response was chillingly calm. "Oh, don't worry. I just need a small favor from you," he drawled.

Murtasim's patience was running thin. "What?" he demanded.

A sinister smirk seemed to underlie Zubair's words. "Just hand over your land to me. Give me full control, and in return, I'll release your precious wife."

Murtasim's voice held an unyielding resolve. "Over my dead body," he shot back.

Zubair's tone remained detached, almost amused. "Well then, the choice is yours. I'm giving you an hour exactly. Surrender the land, or bid farewell to your wife," he said before abruptly ending the call.

Murtasim's anger surged, and in his frustration, he flung his phone aside. The decision ahead was heart-wrenching. On one hand, he couldn't allow letting Malik Zubair seize his land and become an oppressive ruler, subjecting the villagers to tyranny. On the other hand, the thought of a frightened and captive Meerab tore at his soul. He couldn't bear the idea of losing her either.

The choice weighed heavily on his shoulders. It was a dilemma between material possessions and the woman he held close to his heart. While the land and wealth held significant importance, they paled in comparison to the thought of reuniting with his Meerab. The mere thought of her suffering stung his heart, and he couldn't stand idly by.

Amid the storm of emotions, Murtasim recognized the need to regain his composure and think rationally. He was resolved to save both—his beloved wife and his cherished land, at any cost. Taking a deep breath, Murtasim tried to gather his thoughts. He needed to act swiftly and decisively to rescue Meerab. As he clenched his fists, determination flickering in his eyes.

_______________________________