An intruder

Minerva gathered everything she needed before leaving the kitchen, and heading towards the staircase in the hallway. The stair case creaked with every other step before she finally reached the top and headed straight to her room. The door was already open, and inside the room Severus stood by the window, looking out over the endless fields of green. It was ten o'clock the next day, he'd found that out once he'd returned to the room and spotted the grandfather clock he'd apparently missed the first time around.

"Nice to see you listening and staying in bed." The women comments as she places the tray on  her dressing table.
"Yes well I've never been one who enjoys spending their days in bed."
"No you just enjoy endangering your life at every chance you get." At that comment he turned to look at the woman who began placing  pots and mugs along with cups and saucers on the desk, her back facing him.
"Speaking of risking one's life, that was a rather foolish move last night. I could of been anyone."
" Yes, however you weren't."
"I could of been one of them, you didn't know. You should of blasted me as soon as I opened the door, or provided better security for yourself."
"This is a secluded cottage, the only way here is through floo and apparition due to the protection bonds tied with this place. Only three people know of it's where abouts and how to get here, two of us are in this room now." She prepared a cup of tea and gave it a stir before adding, "Granted at first I was weary myself, but this house would never let anyone enter who had bad intentions."
"Doesn't hurt to be cautious, there's always loopholes in everything. Just be more careful in the future."
"Rather bold coming from you. I'm not the one who staggered in last night half dead. Not to mention, had I indeed blasted you as you said that would have only caused greater damage to your health, which might I add isn't all that great now." She turned to face the man, trying her best to ignore how ridiculous he looked in her night gown. The man opened his mouth prepared to argue back, however her hand dismissed whatever he was about to fire at her.
"No, that's quite enough for today. Get yourself back into bed or I will be forced to contact Poppy and bring her here." Dark eyes watched as she made her way to her wardrobe and pulled out one of her cloaks. She transfigured it into a long black night gown, a great deal larger than the one he currently occupied.

"Here, this should be a better fit." She handed him the robe before returning to the tray.
"Now, I've got some potions here that'll help. Though I want to run another diagnostic spell just to ensure I haven't missed anything." He swapped the robes without making a sound, his eyes still focused on the fussing woman as she examined a glass of orange liquid.

Later that same evening Severus ever so quietly left Minerva's bedroom and made his way down the blasted creaky stairs more than certain that had definitely caught the woman's attention. And he was right, because not a second later she appeared in the doorway of her living room, hands on hips and perfectly arched eyebrow in place.
"Going somewhere?"
"Minerva be reasonable, I can't spend much longer in that room. Besides I have a meeting with Dumbledore tonight and I can't not show up."
"You're the one that needs to be reasonable, your body needs time to rest and heal. Whatever you did, your body suffered a great deal Severus..."the woman argued, the man took a deep breath trying to keep his tone in check, she didn't understand the importance of this meeting, he knew that. He also knew he shouldn't of came here, but he couldn't help himself. He couldn't go anywhere else.

Severus was about to respond when a swooshing noise caught both of their attention. Minerva's eyes widen as she glanced at the man who silently summoned his wand, despite the scowl on the woman's face, he knew damned well he'd be in for another one of her lectures after this.
"Were you expecting anyone?"
"No, but it's probably Albus. No doubt he's come here looking for you." At the sound of the pop Severus brought his finger to his lips indicating they be quiet, Minerva rolled her eyes before quietly stepping into the hall, wand in hand. Much to her disapproval Severus instantly stood in her path, pushing her behind him as he took a step towards the door, Minerva gritting her teeth behind him.
"I am not a child Severus." She whispered angrily though the man ignored her, focusing more on the door. Four knocks echoed throughout the house before the door slowly opened, revealing the intruder.

"Thought I'd find you here my boy." Said the overly cheery, colourfully robed old wizard. His beard long and grey like his hair that wore an obscenely long pointed hat that matched his brightly coloured robes.
"I told you." Minerva said, coming out from behind the taller bat like man. He held his arm out in front of the woman preventing her to take a step closer to the old man.
"What do you keep in your desk drawer under lock and key?" Severus asked the man,  his blue eyes twinkled as the though of his little trinket came to mind.
"A silver locket with a lion engraved on the cover."

Satisfied with his answer Severus allowed the man inside, who instantly closed the door behind him.
"Minerva my dear, how have you been keeping." He smiled at his dear friend, who in return gave him a stern stare. The man swallowed then shifted his attention to Severus. He'd gathered that the woman knew of their latest plan, and judging by her face she was anything but impressed. He was in dangerous water now, and had to tread carefully.
"I'd be much better if you didn't toy with his life." She snapped, that was mild, Albus realised. That was just the beginning, he swallowed contemplating whether to just retreat immediately. Severus seemed perfectly fine, no doubt he'd get an earful from their dear friend but he'd be fine.

"Minerva it was a mutual agreement, it's for the greater good." Severus said, surprising the old wizard, maybe he'd been rubbing off on the boy.
"Greater good." The woman scoffed
"Severus can't you hear yourself? You're sounding more like him everyday! There are other ways around this than signing your own death certificate." Minerva rounded on him, anger and frustration evident on her face, it was the glitter of emotion in her eyes that caused Severus' heart to ache.

Fear.

"Severus is perfectly capable of-"
Minerva stopped him before he had chance to continue his speech.
"I don't want to hear from you just now Albus. I might just say something you'll regret." She didn't shout, her voice remained calm, though the frost of her tone was enough to turn the house into the Antarctic. Albus swallowed, he could cope with an angered and raised voice Minerva. But he really couldn't deal with Minerva's cold shoulder. He'd rather be screamed at than treated in such a baltic manner.
"Minerva..." Severus reached for her but she moved away from him. She shook her head before leaving the pair and marched herself up the stairs and out of sight. Albus flinched when he heard the slamming of a door.
"She'll come around." Severus said, turning his attention to the elder wizard.
"I fear we have pushed her a little to far this time." The man's eyes lost their twinkle as he glanced towards the stairs. His heart sank a little, he couldn't let that get hold of him though. There was soo much he needed to do, but at the moment checking his friends safety was at the top. Had he had an alternative choice he'd have taken it, but Severus' previous link to the dark magic and the twisted group of wizards held a higher opportunity on getting into their leaders mind and hopefully put an end to their evil shenanigans.