𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧. you're on your own, kid

VII —— you're on your own, kid

🦢

          ONE OF FIANNA'S FAVOURITE THINGS about being head girl is the prefect's bathroom. The swimming pool-sized bath, the mermaid living in the stained-glass window, the endless selection of bath soaks... it made Fianna feel as though she had left school and stepped into a spa. She's always felt her most relaxed around water, and since she wasn't in the mood to sit as a swan on the lake, her first thought after returning from Hogsmeade was to take a bath.

The bathroom door magically locks after someone enters, the mermaid keeping a careful eye on the door. Fianna undresses and sinks into the bath, lavender-scented steam surrounding her. She lets out a heavy sigh, tired.

Maybe it was a mistake, starting this with Regulus. Maybe she should've just let him get into trouble, if the Aurors would've ever gotten to him. If they had arrested that other Slytherin for being a Death Eater, they might've just stopped there anyway. Maybe all of this wasn't even needed, and instead, Fianna's pretending to be a Death Eater's girlfriend for no reason. She's worrying about Lestrange's engagement party, and she can't help but wonder, has all of this gotten out of hand?

Fianna crosses her forearms on the edge of the bath, resting her chin on them, looking up at the stained glass window's mermaid. She's always liked the mermaid, and the mermaid's always reacted nicely to her, as if she can recognise another water spirit. Apparently some of the prefects have had the bath water magically thrown at them if the mermaid doesn't like them. But Fianna feels safe under her watchful eye.

I bet you don't have to fake-date, Fianna thinks miserably.

She watches the mermaid comb her hair, and she imagines the mermaid speaking back to her, saying, Of course not. What kind of idiot would involve themselves with Death Eaters?

Idiots with a warped sense of empathy, Fianna thinks.

You're such a Pisces, says the mermaid.

Fianna turns away from the mermaid, groaning. I knowwww!

She wonders what would happen, if she ended this early. Couples break up all of the time, and surely it would be believable if she said, "Yeah, once things got public it became a bit too much." Like, with what he is, surely people would understand why she backed out?