Ch 1

The sprawling Empire Entertainment office buzzed with the energy of the music industry's heartbeat

The sprawling Empire Entertainment office buzzed with the energy of the music industry's heartbeat. Lucious Lyon, the charismatic mastermind behind it all, sat in his lavish office, his mind fixed on a decision he had been contemplating. He stares at a photo of his daughter, Imani Lyon, her eyes reflecting both his determination and her mothers fiery spirit. It was time for a change for her. Lucious doesn't want her in the streets and thinks that she needs an education to survive in the music world.

Lucious reaches for his phone and dials a number he hadn't dialed in years. "Billy Baker," a voice answers on the other end."Billy, it's Lucious. Long time no talk." Lucious says still looking at his picture of his daughter. "Lucious, what can I do for you?" Billy Baker's voice was measured, cautious.

"I need a favor. Imani needs a fresh start. Im sending her to Beverly Hills High School. Away from the Empire chaos," Lucious' voice held a rare vulnerability. Billy Baker pauses, considering. "Man I remember Imani when she was just a little baby. So you want her to attend Beverly Hills?" Billy says."I know it's asking a lot, but I'm willing to make it worth your while," Lucious replies his voice earnest. After a moment, billy agrees. "Of course she can come. I'm sure my family will be happy to see her again." Billy says.

....

Imani enters the room, with a headphone in one ear and her phone in her hands. She was wearing a white tank top with jeans and a checkered jacket on. As she sits a chair she notices her brother Hakeem who is a year or two older than her wearing shades indoors.

"Sup mani" hakeem greets his sister as jamal lifts his head up. "Hey big head" jamal greets her. "hey yall" she greets back but then turned her attention to hakeems feet because she noticed that his feet are on the table. "Ooooo you got ya feet on daddy's table." Imani says.

" Man he ain't gonna do nothing" he says going back in his phone."yeah okay" Imani mumbles. Suddenly one of the servers came and placed a plate of hummus at one end of the table. "Who ordered hummus?" Imani asks making bother of her brothers look up. "Your nasty ass brother" jamal answers. "So hakeem?" Imani asks making jamal laugh. "Ah ke ke ke no" hakeem says rolling his eyes.

Jamal and Imani continue to laugh as andre walks in. "Rita, did you bring the hummus?" He asks as he fixes his tie. "Hmmm" Hakeem hums as he tilts his shades. "Hey, ya'll."  He greets his siblings. Hakeem and Imani look at each other before looking at jamal. A expected tension fills the room as silence erupts."Jamal how's that friend of yours?" Andre asks as he sits down at the head of the table. "Good why'd you flake on dinner last Tuesday?" Jamal asks as he continues to look at his phone. "Schedule was crazy" andre replies shrugging ."But you could have at least called or something, like we cooked and everything that's so rude."Imani says making jamal nod in agreement.  "I forgot." Andre voice raised up making Imani shake her head.

Suddenly Lucious walks down the steps and into the room with a newspaper in his hand. "I'm glad ya'll here, and boy get your big ass feet off my $40,000 dinning room table i eat there."He scolds as he smacked hakeems feet with the papers making him put his feet down.

"I told you." Imani says laughing at him. "Shut up" Hakeem says back. "You shut up"Imani replies. "Both of y'all shut the hell up" luscious scolds. "Rude" Imani mumbles making lucious give her a look.

"Listen Your brother and I have been working hard to turn Empire into a publicly traded company. Now part of us going public means assuring a legacy for this company and right now it seems none of you are prepared to take over when I'm gone." Lucious explains.

"Gone?" Imani questions giving him a concerned face."Now it won't happen today or tomorrow but I start grooming someone soon and it can only be one of you." Lucious says as they all looked at each other. "W-What is this, we King Leir now?" Jamal says joking making Imani laugh. "Some Shakespeare Type shit" Imani says. Lucious eyes both of them. "Call it what you want smart asses, but over the next several months I'm gonna make the decision." Lucious says making Imani cover her mouth to try to stop laughing.

"Wait, wait, What are you saying? We're all in competition to be head of the company?" Andre asks with a panicked expression. Lucious looks at his sons. "In order for it to survive I need one of you negroes to man-" Lucious then looks at his daughter. "or woman up and lead it and nothing or no one is going to tear it down, you hear me?" Lucious says making the boys stare eachother done.

"Wait dad I don't want empire though" Imani says making Andre look at her crazy. "Now don't jump to that conclusion as of yet. I'm sending you to highschool." Lucious says looking at his daughter."Say what now?" Imani says. "Alright everyone leave so I can talk to your sister" lucious orders as everyone leaves. "What is going on dad?" Imani asks standing up. "Look I've been thinking," Lucious began, his voice measured. "You have immense talent and potential, and I want to ensure that you have the best opportunities to succeed."Imani arches an eyebrow, puzzled yet intrigued. "Okay..." she trails off.

Lucious took a deep breath before continuing. "You are still in this race. You'll just be doing it from afar. Plus you'll be staying with my longtime friend billy baker. You remember him?" Lucious asks. "Uh yeah sorta"Imani says. "Well he's the coach there and offered to let you stay with them. You'll see Olivia and Jordan again." Lucious points out."You want me to go to Beverly Hills and attend high school there?" Imani asked, her voice tinged with a mixture of astonishment and uncertainty. Lucious nodded. "Yes. Beverly Hills High School is known for its academic programs. Plus you need friends" lucious says. "I have friends" Imani says offended. "The streets aren't your friends Imani Asante lyon." Lucious utters. "Damn the government name" Imani mumbles. "Plus you need a good education to make it in the music world. Just look at your brother." Lucious says.

"Your talking about the same brother that eats hummus. Ew" Imani points out. Imani's mind races as she considered the proposal. The idea of leaving behind her familiar surroundings was both daunting and exhilarating. "What about my music, Dad? My career?" Imani asks.

Lucious leaned forward, his eyes locking onto hers. "Your music will always be a part of you, Imani. But I also want you to have a well-rounded education and a chance to explore new avenues. But if you want to continue making music you can send them to me and I'll release them"

Imani hesitated, her thoughts swirling. She had always been fiercely independent, but this was a decision that required careful consideration. She's about to actually go to a public school with other people who are her family.

Imani  gazed into her father's eyes, seeing a mixture of hope and concern. She squeezed his hand, a small smile forming on her lips. "Alright, Dad. I'll do it."

"That's my daughter. You leave in 2 days" Lucious says leaving the room. "What?!" Imani yells.