Chapter 35

JARED'S POV

I was staying in my rented house that Anna and I had been temporarily living in. My mood had got significantly worse, and it wasn't fair to be around the children when I was in such a state. They didn't understand what was going on, and I didn't need Clara to side-eye me more than once to tell me that she felt uncomfortable having Sophia and Sonny seeing my meltdowns.

Clicking pen my against my chin, I scribbled down onto my notepad yet another map of everywhere we had covered. I had ensured that the warriors had been thorough, demanding that they follow my routes slowly and carefully, going back over them more than a few times to ensure that they didn't miss anything.

Dylan was more than accepting of my requests though, allowing me to help take the lead and inform them of where I thought the best place to look was.

It felt as if we were getting nowhere though. We hadn't received any calls from members of the public, and the fighters weren't able to pick up a scent. Anna and her attacker had moved too fast to leave a trail, especially having been inside of a moving vehicle. Every minute that passed where Anna was missing, was another minute that Amelia had the chance to kill her.

I had never experienced having a mate die, but, I had heard that it felt as if your insides were being ripped from your body. It was the most unimaginable pain a wolf could go through, and when people even described it, it sent a shiver down the back of my spine.

I hoped that they were right, as it gave me hope that Anna was okay. Although we weren't fully mated, I was sure that I would feel her pain, and I would definitely feel if her heart stopped beating. Mine would also threaten to do so.

Blowing a large gust of air from my mouth, I ran my hands through my hair, tugging at the brown strands. I wasn't overly connected with my wolf, but I could feel the way he was practically already mourning the loss of our mate. It pissed me off. Had he seriously just given up?

I knew he couldn't move also, but that didn't mean that we had to just accept that Anna had been taken from us. She was our mate, and we had a duty to protect her. Why was he acting so pathetic?

My phone then began to buzz on the table, and I responded, gulping after hearing Ethan's voice.

"Jared, the man we suspect is Anna's Father has just re-entered the territory. He's parked up outside a convivence store near the old library, and we're going to intervene. Dylan told me to give you a heads up."

My eyes went wide, and I thanked Ethan as I shoved my phone into my pocket, exiting my house and pushing myself down the sidewalk as fast as I could. I weaved in and out of dawdling humans, and they cursed at me as I practically barged them out of the way.

I reached the convivence store in record time, the crumbling and battered library coming into view. I had never been into the store in front of me before. It was a small one that looked quite run down and full of crap, and I scanned around me to see Dylan waiting by the side of the building.

He nodded at me, and I raised my brows as I took notice of many other pack members surrounding the store casually. They made it look as if they were just loitering or passing by, and I wheeled myself backwards so I was hidden by a banner just in case Anna's Father spotted me and attempted to make his escape. I didn't know how much he knew about me, but I suck out like a sore thumb in my wheelchair.

In reality, we didn't actually have proof that this was indeed Anna's Father, but, we knew that he was after her, and it made sense considering he was coming in and out of the area so often and asking around if anyone knew of someone named 'Anna'. He had to have something to do with her disappearance. I was sure of it.