Chapter 46

JARED'S POV

It had been two days since my operation, and to say that things were going well was an understatement. I was frustrated with myself that I hadn't done it sooner.

Although my legs were gone, I felt freer than I had ever been. Anna had been right by my side when I had awoken, and despite feeling a little woozy and nauseous, I was fine. I found myself getting up within a few hours, not enjoying lazing around in bed. It made me feel trapped.

Pumped full of pain medication, I strapped my legs on and took my first few steps, having to clutch onto Anna and Doctor Oliver so I didn't fall. It was a hell of an adjustment, and I did have to stop and sit down to lower my blood pressure multiple times. I had expected it to be a breeze, and although for the most part it was, I was still getting the hang of walking.

Anna was beyond supportive, wanting to do everything for me even though I had told her that I wanted to be independent. She still babied me though, and deep down, I actually enjoyed it. She had been spending a lot of her time preparing herself for her new job, and her and Gia had even gone online to order some new work worthy clothing as they called them.

I couldn't wait to see her in them, although I didn't have the heart to tell her that the dress code was the same as her old school- smart casual.

"You're looking good, man," Dean said with a smile as he made his way into the living area, Anna having let him in. Everyone wanted to come and see me since I wasn't allowed to walk too long on my legs right now so as not to induce any swelling. I could hack about five minutes or so before I began to ache.

"I'm feeling good," I chuckled, shaking his hand. "I'll be up and about in no time. Doctor Oliver wants me to take it slow for the moment though."

"I gather we'll see you at our training sessions then?" Dean teased, wiggling his eyebrows and laughing. "It'll be good to have you there with the warriors. Oh, and Anna, I heard you got a new job."

Anna blushed, looking uncomfortable whenever somebody brought up the achievement. She was excited for it, but I didn't like the way she downplayed it for everyone else. It was a big deal and it should be celebrated.

"Yes, I still need to give them my starting date, but I'm looking forward to it." Anna beamed. "Um, I need to finish up making dinner, so I'll just be in the kitchen."

I watched as Anna disappeared, and Dean settled down on the couch next to me, glancing back at the hallway, lowering his tone. Anna's human hearing wasn't going to pick it up. "Dylan asked me to ask you about Amelia and Anna's Father while I was here. They're still in our holding cells away from the pack, but we need a decision soon, Jared. We can't keep them there forever."

I sighed, running my hand down my face. "Anna hasn't mentioned anything about it, and I don't want to be the one to bring it up. She's just getting ready for this new job and I know she's concerned about me. I don't want to stress her out anymore."

Dean hummed. "I get it, but apparently Amelia is getting antsy. She's determined to break out of there and she's already assaulted two guards. They're using drugs to keep her weak, but the whole premise of it seems borderline barbarous. I understand that she and Anna's Father did us wrong, but the guards want both of them gone. They're complaining about what they're having to put up with."

I nodded. It wasn't fair on the guards to be given the task of drugging Amelia and ensuring she didn't escape when they had been given no end date for the job. As far as they were concerned, this was going to be their task for the rest of their career. It sounded exhausting, especially since I knew what a handful Amelia could be. She didn't give up. Clearly.