Chapter 8: Congratulations, birdie

Warner Hartfelt was dragged through the dirt, his trail of blood expected to wash away thanks to tomorrow's rainy forecast. As Wren navigated deeper into the woodland, searching for the nearby river, her mind jumbled.

It's been one year since Jennifer Brennan had died, and she still did not have the slightest idea of what led to her mother's passing.

She hoped it was nothing like Warner's case. He had been tricked, tortured, then murdered. And now, his homicide was about to be disguised as an accident.

Wren watched silently as his body hurtled into the water. As the ripples of his splash spread, the tension lingered, leaving behind a tense silence. She let him sink, blood in the water leaving a dark trail she couldn't quite see.

"Are you alright?" Someone asked.

Wren turned to face Kim, her eyes betraying weariness and torment. "You just witnessed a murder and you're asking if I'm okay?"

"If it makes you feel any better, your secret is safe with us," Kim said. The harsh wind blew through her choppy hair. "It's not your fault, you know."

Wren began to shake as she recounted the tragedy. She had killed Warner Hartfelt. The Sisters of Stygian helped dispose of his body. She was a murderer and the sorority leaders were her accomplices. The very thought pushed her toward a state of nausea and detachment that made it difficult to process anything.

"I wish I could rewind time and make different choices," the killer sobbed. "Why hadn't I seen the signs? Why didn't I recognize his hidden motives? I'm so stupid, so gullible."

"If you're stupid and gullible, then so are the rest of us. We've been friends with him for three years and never knew he was capable of harassment." Kim shuddered. "We thought you were simply going to rough him up a bit. Not stab him to death."

Wren sniffled. "I'm sorry for killing your friend."

Kim was silent for a moment, her expression a mix of conflicting emotions— shock, sadness, and finally, understanding. "He's not our friend anymore. He's a fucking predator. Although you didn't mean to, I understand why you did what you did."

She sighed. "Mina will struggle when she finds out. It won't be easy for her."

The other two accomplices approached, their footsteps muffled by the thick grass. "That's why we're not going to tell her," Noemy announced, ever the assertive leader. "We can't tell anyone about this. This secret binds us."

Ariana, the tipsy second-in-command, nodded. "We're in this together. This is our trauma bond. A brutal bond."

God, why were they being so calm—as if they were accustomed to concealing such tragedy? Why were they helping instead of calling the police?

Unanswered questions loomed in Wren's mind, yet emotions tugged at her heart as she looked around at the faces of women who once despised her. She had never experienced a bond quite like this, one forged in the crucible of shared secrets and unwavering support. "I won't say a word to anyone."

Nods of agreement rippled through the group as they clung onto each other, a shared pact forming in the wake of the deadly event they had just partaken in.

"We need to stay close and protect each other. With a secret like this, distance is our enemy. Wren," Noemy declared, "Move in with us."

Without a moment's hesitation, the other girl nodded.

"Congratulations, birdie. You are now a dedicated member of the Sisters of Stygian."

•••