Chapter 5: Liberation (pt. 1)

Wren stepped into the bustling sorority party, her heart racing with a mix of excitement and nerves. She couldn't help but feel a surge of gratitude towards Warner, who had invited her as his plus-one for the night.

Wide-eyed, she took in the scene around her. The Sisters of Stygian house was adorned with colorful strobe lights that painted the crowd in a kaleidoscope of hues. The air buzzed with excitement as people danced to the pulsating music, while others clutched plastic cups filled with colorful concoctions. It was the epitome of a typical university party, a place where inhibitions were left at the door, and the spirit of fun reigned supreme.

As she took in the lively atmosphere, a familiar face bounded towards her with uncontained enthusiasm. "Wrenie, I am so happy you are here! We are going to have so much fun!" Mina exclaimed, her voice barely audible over the thumping bass.

Without waiting for a response, the cute girl grabbed Wren's hand and pulled her towards the dance floor. Wren cast a quick glance toward Warner, who simply waved her off. "You better save me a dance for later, Birdie!"

With Warner's command echoing in her mind, Wren allowed herself to be swept away by Mina's beaming excitement. They dove into the heart of the dance floor, where bodies moved in sync with the rhythm of the music, and laughter intermingled with the melodies.

At first, Wren felt a twinge of awkwardness as she navigated the crowded dance floor. The thumping beats reverberated through her body, and the sheer energy of the crowd enveloped her. However, as she took a sip from one of the offered alcoholic beverages, a sense of relaxation washed over her.

Drink by drink, she felt the weight of self-consciousness slip away, replaced by a growing comfort and a desire to let go. The music and the intoxicating atmosphere encouraged her to surrender herself to the rhythm, and soon, she was moving with a newfound carefree spirit, synchronized with the pulsating beat.

Sweat glistened on her brow as she danced, jumped, and sang alongside Mina. Their laughter merged with the music and the drunken cheers of the crowd. The world around them seemed to slow down as the alcohol coursed through their veins, making everything appear dreamlike and hazy.

Their dizziness only amplified the euphoria, and they found themselves laughing uncontrollably, the sound blending with the rhythmic melodies. The room swirled around them, colors blending into a beautiful blur, as if they had stepped into an alternate reality. It was a moment of pure liberation, where worries and inhibitions were left behind, and only the intoxicating freedom of the present mattered.

At that moment, Wren Brennan forgot about all of her problems.
She forgot about her worries.
She forgot about her disappointments.
She forgot about her failures.
She forgot about the Sisters of Stygian.

And she never felt so alive.

Hours flew by, and the exhilarating dance routines had left Wren's skin glistening with perspiration. With unsteady steps, she stumbled her way through the crowd. She entered the restroom, finding relief in the coolness of the tile walls. Leaning against the sink, she gazed into the mirror. Her disheveled appearance was evidence of tonight's escapades.

Wren took a deep breath and splashed water on her face, the droplets refreshing her flushed cheeks. As she wiped away the excess moisture, a wide grin spread across her lips. The party had unlocked a part of her she hadn't known existed—a carefree spirit longing to break free from the confines of her everyday life.

The night was far from over.

"I'm surprised you had the courage to crash here, considering who is hosting this party."

Startled, Wren turned to see who the low voice belonged to. It was Kim, looking as cool as ever leaning against the tile with her arms crossed.

Wren frowned. "Warner brought me as his plus-one."

"I see." Kim nodded. "Are you having fun?"

It was a simple question, yet Wren was at a loss for words. She wasn't sure what she was supposed to do or say. All she could do was gape at the cryptic girl standing before her. Kim took a step closer, her combat boots resonating with each firm step. "Birdie."

"S-sorry," Wren stammered. Why hadn't she answered to the one person whose attention she desperately craved? Why was she so nervous? "I'm having a good time."

"I'm glad you have company. Mina seems to like you." Kim paused. "Warner too."

"Yeah. I like Mina."

"And Warner? Do you like him?"

Once again, Wren found herself caught in a predicament. There was no denying that Warner was undeniably attractive and intriguing and funny. The conversation they had shared in the pool lingered in her thoughts as weeks went by. They both liked each other, and the connection was mutual.

However, Kim didn't need to know about her budding connection with Warner, especially if Kim had a problem with them being together, as her tone implied.

Kim's eyes narrowed at the lack of response. "Most girls can't resist a guy like Warner Hartfelt. He's handsome, popular, captain of the swim team..." She trailed. "He's perfect. Almost too good to be true."

She gazed at Wren intently, as if gauging her reaction to the assessment.

"Warner and I aren't dating," Wren blurted.

"I'm not the person you should be sharing that information with." Kim sighed. "You can leave now."

Following orders, Wren stumbled out of the restroom, heading straight toward the person who despised her the most.
______________________
Author's Note
Before scrolling to part two of this chapter, please vote, comment, and share. If you'd like to receive announcements, hit the follow button on my profile!