Chapter 1: Legacy Bound

_____________________________

Sorority Rush/Recruitment: an intense process in which university undergraduate women attempt to join a sorority.

Open House: the first round of Rush that lets potential new members visit the sorority houses on campus. It gives applicants a chance to meet sorority pledges, or members, and learn what they stand for.
_____________________________

Wren Brennan stood outside the towering gates of Beverington University. Her brown hair blew about in the cool autumn breeze. The 19-year-old absorbed the picturesque campus. Buildings of brick and stone were neatly decorated to embrace the beginning of the fall semester with colorful pumpkins and haystacks. A combination of red, orange, and brown leaves descended from towering maple trees. As the sun set, vintage street lamps shone upon students who sipped warm lattes next to a bundle of sunflowers bedded in fresh soil.

It's like a damn episode of Gilmore Girls.

She inhaled the crisp air, her gaze scanning the row of sorority houses lining the street.

And there it was, standing proudly before her, the sorority house that held the key to her mother's legacy — Sisters of Stygian. As the hopeful girl walked toward the prestigious institution, she could not help but feel a sense of heaviness in her chest. Wren had always been told that her mother left behind an extraordinary legacy, but the truth behind her unforeseen death remained shrouded in darkness.

Driven by a desire to find closure of the tragedy that plagued her family, Wren made a life-altering decision. Starting sophomore year, she would try to join Sisters of Stygian, a dangerously elite sorority known for its powerful connections and influence. Within its secretive walls, she would follow the path her mom once walked.

Wren raised a hand to knock on the door, but paused with hesitation. The women behind this door wielded influence like a double edge sword, offering both protection and danger to those who sought their favor. However, drawn by the opportunity to connect with her mother's impact, she knocked.

The door creaked open, and a pair of wide blue eyes met her hazel ones. "Can I help you?" A sweet voice questioned.

Wren gaped at the person peaking behind the door. She was not much older than herself. She was short, perhaps 4'11. She was wispy and petite with dainty features, pale skin, and platinum hair that dropped in soft waves around her small shoulders. Her pastel dress made her resemble an ethereal fairy that could fly away any moment.

"My name is Wren Brennan. I'm here for Open House," the visitor replied.

The young woman appeared shocked for a moment, until her face contorted into a grin full of adorable crooked teeth. Her tiny hands grabbed the other girl's wrist, dragging her into the house. Her little legs moved so fast, Wren could barely admire the chandelier above the tall ceiling.

As the two rushed through the grand foyer, their footsteps echoed against the polished hardwood floors. Inside, the atmosphere was different. The air felt heavy with dominance and superiority. The walls were adorned with framed photographs of unequaled women, their faces radiating a sense of belonging and sisterhood.

'Will my face ever grace these walls?' Wren wondered. Quickly, she shook off any doubt. She's a legacy, after all. Her mother was a dedicated member of this exclusive organization, and offspring were bound to do the same.

The two came to a halt in the living room. The floral scent of Miss Dior Eau de Parfum wafted through the air. A cozy fireplace crackled beneath the corner stone. Dark wooden walls coordinated with floors and expensive furniture. It was a chic academia atmosphere nowhere near the typical sorority house. But it was not the lavish scenery that caught Wren's attention; it was three slightly older girls lounging, each alarmingly beautiful in their own way.