Chapter 5

(Authors note! These next chapters are going to somewhat follow the movie plot, but with some differences! And a couple things might be out of order, but please bear with me, I'm going off of memory! :') )

As the next morning came by, I yawned as I rubbed my eyes and sat up, looking down at the night sky petunia necklace with a smile as I gently held the glass ball. Memories of last night flashed through my mind as I smiled even more. I can't wait to see him again.

My door suddenly opened and my mom came in, sniffing the air before gasping. "Y/n, do I smell...love?" She questioned curiously as she walked over and sat down on my bed beside me. My eyes widened in shock as I started to get nervous. "I-I uh...no?" I smiled nervously and backed away slightly when she started sniffing the air close to me. "I do smell love! Who is it?" She started to smile as she grabbed my hand and held it, making my nervousness turn into confusion.

"W...what?" I mumbled, even more confused than before. "Who's the lucky fire guy or girl?" She questioned with a smile. My heart dropped to my stomach as I realized that she thought I was falling in love with a fire person.

I hesitated for a moment. What was I supposed to tell her? "Well, um...he's very sweet and kind and funny." I started off, looking down at my lap as I began to smile. "Tell me more! He's a fire guy, right?" My mom questioned with a smile, though had hope behind her eyes. It was as if she was begging me to say yes.

The sudden anxiety I felt from this caused my flames to start fading to a light purpleish blue as I quickly got up. "He's, um...not exactly." I explained with a nervous smile. My mom's eyes widened as she gasped and gave a disgusted look. "He's not fire?" She glared angrily. And before anything else was said, I rushed out of my room as my anger started to rise, rushing downstairs and to the basement without being seen. Once I knew I was alone, I couldn't hold it in any longer and let out a loud yell as an explosion of blue and purple flames surrounded me.

I panted as I held my head in my hands, slightly dizzy. I then started to hear a rumbling noise and looked over to see a pipe starting to go crazy before it burst, water spraying at me. I yelped in pain as part of my face was gone because of the water extinguishing it. I quickly ran over and melted the metal of the pipe before closing it shut. "Oh, flame! Why did I lose my temper? She was just asking so many questions." I sighed and grabbed some sticks from a bucket next to me before eating them, my flames coming back.

That's when I saw something moving in the water before it slowly came up. My eyes widened at the sight. "Wade? What's going on?" I asked as I stayed where I was, water flooding the floor. His eyes widened as well before he gave a nervous smile. "I may or may not have gotten sucked up through the pipes trying to look for a leak in the canal." I was shocked after hearing this. A leak in the canal? The water was shut down years ago for Firetown, why was there a leak? He then looked around before going over to the pipes, getting out a small notepad and a pen. "I'm sorry, Y/n, but I'm a city inspector and these pipes aren't up to code. I'm gonna have to write you a ticket." He explained sadly as tears streamed down his cheeks, starting to write in the notepad.

My jaw dropped. "What?! No! Then the shop would get shut down, I can't have that! My dad built this place!" I exclaimed worriedly, hoping he would understand. This just made him cry even more. "He built it without permits? No no no, I'm sorry!" He cried as he wrote more and more tickets. I couldn't believe this. Sure, it was his job to write the tickets if something was wrong, but seriously?

"Wade, give me the tickets, please!" I quickly rushed forward to try and take them, but he backed away, sadness shining in his blue eyes. "I'm sorry, Y/n, I can't lose another job." And with that, he climbed out of the basement window. I growled a little and quickly followed after him. Just when I thought this guy was the sweetest man in the world and I was even starting to fall for him!

(Y'all know what happens, time skip!)

After chasing Wade and him accidentally sending the tickets, then talking to Gale, we were now walking through Element City as the sun had already set. I was holding a bit of a grudge against Wade for what he did, but I couldn't be too mad. He was just doing his job.

"So um...would you still want to hangout sometime?" Wade questioned nervously as he glanced over at me, to which I just sent him a glare. "Seems like we hung out today. I chased after you for writing those tickets and sending them. Now the shop might close down." I spoke, my words holding a bitterness to them. He flinched slightly and looked down at the ground as we walked. I sighed, feeling bad for being so rude, but I didn't know what to do.

After a bit of silence, we soon realized that we were in Firetown and by the edge of the canal. That's when I spotted some water puddles. "Wait, is that from the leak?" I asked as I pointed towards the puddles. Wade looked over and his eyes widened. "They are! We gotta find out where that leak is coming from!" He exclaimed as he turned to me. I thought for a moment. How were we going to find a leak in a maze of canals? That's when I came up with an idea.

"Follow me!" I quickly ran towards the shop and climbed the ladder, thankful that my family was asleep. As we got to the roof, I started making a homemade air balloon, getting in and waving for Wade to follow.

After getting in, my flames grew brighter and bigger as the balloon part lifted and began flying, carrying us up and through the town to find the leak in the canal. I could feel Wade's eyes on me as my flames burned brightly. The light started reflecting off of his water like it did before, making him smile before it slowly faded and he looked away. He knew that I was still upset with him. "Listen, I'm sorry for writing those tickets. But we can fix this." He said softly and looked over at me with a hopeful smile. I sighed and looked at him. "I really hope you're right, Wade. If my dad loses that shop, it'll kill him."

His gaze softened as he went to put a hand on my shoulder before pulling away after seeing his water start to boil and steam. When he looked down, he soon saw a trail of water. "There! That's where I got sucked in!" He pointed and we started following it before we came to a large door with a hole in it. After landing the makeshift air balloon, we got out. "We gotta figure out how to close this." I looked around and soon saw some sand bags, quickly rushing over and starting to grab them before hearing a loud horn. A boat was coming by and spilling water into the bay where it was supposed to hold the water, but the hole was stopping it from doing so.

I gasped and quickly threw some sandbags down to Wade. He grunted as it knocked him over before standing back up and quickly starting to stack them. Thankfully, we managed to stack enough to hold the water and stop the leak. I let out a sigh of relief and walked over towards Wade after he put the last sandbag down. "I think that'll hold it." I said as I looked at our finished work before turning towards him. He nodded in agreement with a smile. "Yeah. I'll get a hold of a crew and get them over here to fix it before Friday." He smiled over at me, making me smile right back. And just when I thought I was still mad at him, I couldn't be mad at him for long. He was far too sweet.

"Hey, um...since we didn't exactly get to hangout much today, would you like to come and meet my family tomorrow?" Wade asked curiously, almost nervous that I would say no. I thought it over for a second and started to smile. "You think they'll like a blue fire monster like me?" I partially joked with him, though it was mostly true as well. He rolled his eyes as his gaze softened. "You're not a monster, Y/n. And I'm positive that they'll love you. It's impossible not to love you." He spoke with a smile, that same look in his eyes from before. What kind of look was that?

I felt my cheeks heating up, well, more than they already were, and looked away as I giggled. "Alright, I'll meet them." I couldn't believe that I was going to meet his family. If they were anything like Wade, I knew I was going to love them. The smile on his face seemed to grow from my words, even doing a little happy dance as I laughed. How could someone be so perfectly imperfect and so loveable?