17. marry you

୨ৎ ꒰ marry you ꒱ ୨ৎ

.୨ৎ ꒰ marry you ꒱ ୨ৎ.

conrad was driving, his eyes pointed to the slightly lit coastline road. next to him, there was jeremiah and in the back seats, willow was sitting between the conklin's sibling, holding her boyfriend's hand, her eyes watery.

everything was quiet, the moon was starting to set and the breeze was moving belly's hair. they were still wearing their elegant clothes, but it didn't care, they just wanted to have fun together that night.

they didn't spend a single second in the entire summer all together, without fighting or secretly hating on each other. they didn't want to waste the last summer days. everything was about to change, they needed to have a last good memory. stay strong and together.

"turn the volume up a little, connie" willow said as soon as she recognized the song.

"willy, i don't think-" conrad tried to say.

"c'mon connie!" belly complained and willow reached out to clik the volume button on the car's stereo.

"it's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do" belly and willow started singing, using their fists as microphones.

"hey baby, i think i wanna marry you" steven joined them, smiling at willow. she stretched out between the front seats to convince the brothers to sing.

"is it the look in your eyes or is it this dancing juice?" jeremiah sang, rolling his eyes, secretly amused.

"who cares, baby, i think i wanna marry youuu!" willow sang and conrad sighed, trying to hold a laugh.

by the chorus, everybody was singing in the car, shouting those words to throw out every negative energy. conrad pressed the accelerator.

the beach was empty, the sand still warm. belly started running towards the ocean as soon as she got out of the car, followed by willow, who took off her heels, leaving them on the car's floor.

they laughed when belly tripped and almost fell, feeling free. the stopped laughing once they dived into the cool water.

when they reached the surface, the guys were in the water with them and they started to splash each other. steven loaded willow on her shoulders and brought her to the beach.

"i wanna dance with you!" he told her, thrilled.

"what?" she responded, surprised.

"you didn't have your deb dance. i want to dance with you!"

"you'll have to catch me, boo!" willow started running in the opposite direction down the endless beach, stretching her arms out. she could hear steven laugh behind her and she shrieked when his arms wrapped her waist.

he picked her up like the grooms pick up the brides and she put her arms around his neck.

"i want to marry you, steven conklin" she threw her head behind, smiling.

steven's heart was full. the most beautiful girl in the world wanted to marry him, and he knew she wasn't joking. the most gorgeous girl in the world was her girlfriend.

he gently let her touch the ground again and grabbed her waist to kiss her. the sun was rising, lighting the two standing on the shore, their feet wet by the waves.

"may i have this dance?" he asked her.

"i would be honored, boo" steven enlaced his finger with hers and put an hand on her waist. they started waltzing around, stepping on each other's feet and occasionally tilting their head to kiss.

they could hear belly's laugh, still in the water with the two boys. willow was happy, knowing she had the best people she could ever ask by her side. all summer long steven would tease belly just for fun, her brothers would silently fight to get belly's attention and willow would simply fooling around. she was kind of regretting a lot of things she did that summer, she should've been less selfish, but in the back of her mind she knew her mom wanted everything to go that way. she didn't want to be in the spotlight and "ruin" the kids' summer.

willow exhaled loudly: it wasn't going to be summer without her.

⭑○◦

her head reasting on jeremiah's shoulder, willow was admiring the sky, pink and orange, suddenly feeling very tired. she didn't even noticed the other kids went for a walk.

"i'm sorry,here, for everything that happened." willow mumbled, holding his hand. "i should've been more with you this summer."

"it's ok, willow. you will always be my little sister who's madly in love with steven conklin." he ruffled her hair. "nothing will change that."

he was right. no matter what, cousins was meant to be in her life forever, with or without her mother. the kids were meant to stay together, even in the toughest times.